House hacking with low liquidity and an investor or two

House hacking with low liquidity and an investor or two

Seattle · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 12 votes

Happy New Year, everyone!

Getting right to the purpose of my post, with all the relevant context: I’m 52 and living near Seattle. I have a good FT job in education administration, but I want to retire asap, focusing on RE (so, not really retiring, but you get the idea). I have a primary home and a rental near Portland, OR. I’d rather not sell my primary or 1031 the rental if possible. In fact, I’d like to turn the primary into a rental and then house hack in a multi-unit.

Two of the biggest challenges I face are that I’m not very liquid at the moment, and the Seattle area is extremely expensive. So, I’d like to bring in an investor. I’d live in and manage the property, fixing it up as needed. Which reminds me that I should mention that I’m not opposed to living a not-so-luxurious lifestyle in the short run. The investor would front most or all of the down payment, but in theory he, she or they would not have to think about it from there. I’d take care of everything. So, that’s all the context.

My question is this: How could we structure an arrangement that would make sense for both my potential partner and myself? I realize we’d probably want to bring in a real estate attorney, but I’m assuming there are models in place that are probably well-established for such a partnership that I know nothing about. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rod HanksBusiness Member
    Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
    1y

    To structure a partnership, consider forming an LLC where you handle property management, renovations, and operations, while the investor provides the down payment. Ownership and profit-sharing can be split based on contributions, with you possibly earning equity through sweat equity. Clearly define terms, including an exit strategy, buyout options, and how proceeds will be split. Work with a real estate attorney to draft a formal agreement that outlines responsibilities and protects both parties.

    Rod Hanks Insurance4.9155 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Derek Heinz you might be better off finding a major fixer-upper, getting a hard money loan (HML) to acquire it.

    Once you fix it up, you could refinance to pay off the HML.

    If you do it right, you should have enough sweat & forced equity to have 10-20% equity for the refinance.

  • Seattle · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Thanks, both of you. I like and appreciate both of your suggestions! I'll follow up eventually once I make my next move. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.