Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Levene
Votes |
House Hacking In Expensive Markets

Mike Levene
Posted

Hi all, I recently started an informal real estate group with some old college friends. They are all looking at strategies to use for their first deal and many of us are leaning towards a house hack to reduce the amount of capital we need upfront. The problem many of us run into is being in New England, many of the markets are high cost, high appreciation markets that we either can't get pre qualified for, or even after moving out will struggle to cash flow.

Another big constraint is that many of us have W-2 jobs in engineering that require some days in the office, and these types of higher paying jobs are primarily in major cities (most of us are in the Boston area).

Lastly, a lot of us have significant others that may be less interested in living somewhere "random" because it makes sense as an investment. If they were married, I'd think it would be more of a conversation about their future, but I can understand that if you are only with someone for 1-2 years they might not be willing to pack everything up and follow you on your real estate journey right away.

Any thoughts or ideas to help us sort through the weeds on how to go about finding a house hack with these constraints? Are there any markets outside Boston that any of you have had success with a house hack or tips to succeed in this type of market? I'm sure something similar applies to those who live in high cost cities like NYC, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, etc.

Loading replies...