Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Travis Dumont
Votes |
Fannie Mae 5% Down Program

Travis Dumont
Posted

Hi guys, quick question regarding the Fannie Mae owner occupied program. This last March a used the 5% down program to buy a duplex in NH. If I live in the property for a year, can I use the same program to purchase and occupy another multi or, can you only have one of these types of mortgages open at a time? I guess the question is, could I house hack with these program over and over just as I would with a conventional mortgage?

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied

@Travis Dumont

The Fannie Mae owner-occupied program allows individuals to use the program multiple times, but with certain limitations. The program requires living in the property for at least one year as the primary residence. After that year, you can move and purchase another property with an owner-occupied loan, as long as you intend to live in the new property as your primary residence. You can qualify for another Fannie Mae loan with 5% down, as long as you meet lender criteria, including debt-to-income ratio and credit score. However, you can only use the program for a new property each time you move. Additionally, you can "house hack" by buying a new primary residence every year, but be cautious not to genuinely occupy each property.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Derek Brickley
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied

Yep you're all set!  Rinse and repeat!  Just have to be sure that it makes sense for your primary.

Gold Star Mortgage - Derek Brickley Logo
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Steffen
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Replied

At most, while getting approved for the next loan, underwriters might ask you a series of additional questions as to why you're moving especially if the new unit is relatively the same size, area, value. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Dumont
Votes |
Replied

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.