Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Travis Dumont
Votes |
Fannie Mae 5% Down Program

Travis Dumont
Posted Sep 9 2024, 12:31

Hi guys, quick question regarding the Fannie Mae owner occupied program. This last March a used the 5% down program to buy a duplex in NH. If I live in the property for a year, can I use the same program to purchase and occupy another multi or, can you only have one of these types of mortgages open at a time? I guess the question is, could I house hack with these program over and over just as I would with a conventional mortgage?

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Sep 10 2024, 05:44

@Travis Dumont

The Fannie Mae owner-occupied program allows individuals to use the program multiple times, but with certain limitations. The program requires living in the property for at least one year as the primary residence. After that year, you can move and purchase another property with an owner-occupied loan, as long as you intend to live in the new property as your primary residence. You can qualify for another Fannie Mae loan with 5% down, as long as you meet lender criteria, including debt-to-income ratio and credit score. However, you can only use the program for a new property each time you move. Additionally, you can "house hack" by buying a new primary residence every year, but be cautious not to genuinely occupy each property.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Derek Brickley
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Sep 10 2024, 06:52

Yep you're all set!  Rinse and repeat!  Just have to be sure that it makes sense for your primary.

Gold Star Mortgage - Derek Brickley Logo
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
John Steffen
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 11 2024, 16:50

At most, while getting approved for the next loan, underwriters might ask you a series of additional questions as to why you're moving especially if the new unit is relatively the same size, area, value. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Dumont
Votes |
Replied Sep 12 2024, 07:34

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.