Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Fumi Maher
Votes |
Seeking advice for aouse hacking strategy in Austin

Fumi Maher
Posted Sep 9 2024, 06:26

Hello community,
I am a new investor in the Austin area, TX and debating between two strategies. Since I am new to the town, I wanted to seek advice from experienced investors out there. Which strategy below would you do in the Austin market? I am looking for a property around $500k, single with a remote work and side hassle.

Strategy 1: buy a duplex, live in one unit (for one year as a "primary residence) and rent out another unit as a short-term / mid-term rental on Airbnb.
Strategy 2: buy a single-family house with at least 4 bd, live in one room, rent out the rest of rooms as a mid-term rental on Airbnb / long-term rental.

I am new in this game and here to learn everything. Thank you all!!

User Stats

Votes
Masyn Grant Barney
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Replied Sep 9 2024, 09:17

@Fumi Maher, I'm not from Austin but I will give you the advice I give those here in Utah (most of which should transfer just fine) 

Renting by the bedroom seems to bring in the best cashflow. So whichever type of property, rent by the room if you are up for the extra management burden. Sometimes condos/townhomes are better at attracting young working professionals given that they are usually in more densely populated areas and often will have amenities that come with the HOA like pools, gyms, etc.

Buying a multifamily property tends to be better for scale. Here in UT we have strict occupancy limits in college towns of 3 unrelated people per unit. So renting by the room doesn't work as well there. Many just ignore the zoning rule though. That occupancy limit is often why many go with a duplex given they can rent to family and make more than they can renting to 3 singles. But 4+ singles works great if you can make it work. 

Hopefully that was helpful! I think both are great options and you can't really go wrong if you are going into it openminded. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 9 2024, 10:03

@Fumi Maher both can work well but you'll find one may be more attractive to you personally.

I've done all duplex househacks and incorporated MTR and STR when it made sense. I still own two of them and sold two of them to buy more rentals

I'm always up to talk househacking too if you'd like to grab coffee or lunch!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Sep 9 2024, 14:45

im in Orange County CA and there is a huge market here for room by room rentals here. i've been doing this for quite some time (over a decade now), and it certainly has its pro's and cons. 

my advice if you go about this is make sure you do proper vetting before moving someone in... not only for financials/ credit-worthiness, but also for temperament and expectations in a co-living space. 

we ask a lot of questions like "how do you handle conflict?" "what is your experience living with room mates?" "what does your M-F schedule look like" "how do you decompress at the end of a long day?" in a vast interview process with many steps before allowing someone to move in. a new roomie is an everyone-decision, not a landlord-only decision; if you're expecting people to co-exist in a space together (for longer than just a few months), you have to make sure they all have some things in common, or at minimum have the right expectations in terms of cleanliness and routine habits.

someone working the night shift and someone else having a 5am rise-time, or someone who works from home in a call-center job is not going to jive well for example. and someone who doesnt handle conflict well is not going to jive with someone who is brutally honest and up front about issues. 

happy to go into more deets on how we do things if it will help. this can certainly be lucrative in terms of cash flow, but there are huge mud puddles i have stepped in over the years which i have had to learn to navigate.

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Sep 10 2024, 05:55

@Fumi Maher

Welcome to BP!

Both strategies you’re considering have their advantages: buying a duplex or a single-family home. Duplexes provide privacy, flexibility, and scalability, but strict short-term rental regulations may increase upfront costs and maintenance. Single-family homes offer higher cash flow, lower maintenance, and potential equity growth, but may have less privacy and slower unit growth.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
John Steffen
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 11 2024, 16:29

Austin is flooded with STRs (and str regulations now) but it can still work, just use a good agent. I would lean more MTR or LTR regardless of product type. If you go RBTR, here are a few key criteria I've seen to assure comfort of living and lower vacancy / turnover:

- at least 400sqft per tenant and no more than 2 tenants to 1 full bath 

-excess parking where folks aren't blocking each other in and you're not getting complaints from your neighbors about overtaking the street parking. Bonus if you land a corner lot.

- multiple indoor common areas (think 2 separate tv setups). 

- exterior "usable square footage" (think covered patio, pergolas).

- extra storage space so tenants don't feel the need to squeeze their entire lives into one room (extra garage space, attic, detached shed)

- room for 2 full refrigerators! + ample pantry/shelf/cabinet space for dry goods.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 12 2024, 06:11

@Fumi Maher both are good strategies and we have clients doing both currently. Rent by the room may bring in more cash flow per bedroom, but may not cash flow as well if you convert the SFH back to a long term rental. A duplex is more flexible as you will have privacy on your side and can test out any strategy with the other unit ( LTR, MTR, STR, rent by the room). When you leave, a duplex will typically generate more cash flow as a long term rental than a single family home. I would consider both your short term and long term goals when buying the property. I'm happy to connect if you want to discuss options.