Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Wang
Votes |
Post Grad House Hacking Feasability

Jeff Wang
Posted

Hi, long time listener, first time caller, I just made this account today to post.

I'm starting my final year of undergrad with a job offer to work remotely at a small tech company. It's not a mind-boggling salary, but it's enough, and the economical decision would be to move into a LCOL area and thrive. The issue is I've lived in cities my whole life and feed off social life, something I'm already concerned with having when I'm working remotely.

I'm currently eyeing cities like Chicago and NYC, the latter of which I have not lived in and have been doing some digging on. A lot of my friends and other new grad young professionals seem to congregate in areas like Midtown and lower Manhattan or in Williamsburg/Bushwick and Downtown Brooklyn.

I know house hacking isn't impossible in NYC, but my most ideal areas with people my age and high traffic are also everyone else's ideal places to live, and are much harder to house hack. I wanted to inquire and poke around on whether this is something feasible or if I should look towards other places (like Chicago). 

I'd love to talk, listen, and please feel free to realign my expectations or provide some experience and anecdotes - please go easy on me. Thank you in advance for reading!

Loading replies...