Raleigh STR House Hack UPDATE: Month 01

Raleigh STR House Hack UPDATE: Month 01

Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes

In December, my wife and I bought an old 1984 3/2 split level home with a walkout basement in a great area of Raleigh NC and spent the next 5 months renovating it, spending a little over $40k and pouring every ounce of energy and time we had into it. Now, we are 1 month strong and counting in renting out the top 2 bedrooms on airbnb, with us living in the bottom half (completely separate) - here's how it's going so far:

Guests Stayed: 15

Reviews: 5 stars, 8 reviews, super host

Occupancy: We had 3 nights of where 1 bedroom wasn't rented. The larger bedrooms had a couple in it for the entire month, while the other turned every few nights on average. Takeaway is having at least 1 medium term guest will yes have lower rent potential but less headache and helps stabilize income.

Gross Earnings: $2,200

Expenses: $75 supplies (we clean ourselves, takes 10 minutes, and it's right upstairs no biggie)

PITI: $2,700

We paid $800 including utilities and any little repairs needed to live here.

When we move out, we expect to cashflow around $500 a month conservatively. The plan is to hold it long enough to see appreciation do it's thing AND in time we have the option to turn it into an entire house airbnb or even a long term rental for passiveness sake. Will do another update in time, cheers!

7Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
2y

Raleigh is beautiful. I agree. It's has easy access to a lot of wonderful places without the traffic of let's say- LA. 

House Hacking is a wonderful way to get started in investing. Good for you!! 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ian JimenoPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 39 votes
    2y

    Love those numbers, Benjamin! 

    I'm sure as time goes on, rents will go up and your asset will appreciate. Keep us posted on how things are going. 

    I'm also moving to the MTR strategy as we go to the fall/winter seasons here in Denver. 4 months out of the year it's reeeaaal slow as an STR, but MTR strat could keep things more afloat.

    Cheers,

    Ian

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    That's awesome! Do you know if the city has any STR regulations?

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pradeep Patel:

    That's awesome! Do you know if the city has any STR regulations?


     Hey there, a cheap permit that they give to anyone. Just a way for them to make money. Durham does nothing. Raleigh does require no more than 2 listings per house. So you could put 3 bedrooms on airbnb and make one of them a medium term rental (30days-90days for example) and that would be fine.

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ian Jimeno:

    Love those numbers, Benjamin! 

    I'm sure as time goes on, rents will go up and your asset will appreciate. Keep us posted on how things are going. 

    I'm also moving to the MTR strategy as we go to the fall/winter seasons here in Denver. 4 months out of the year it's reeeaaal slow as an STR, but MTR strat could keep things more afloat.

    Cheers,

    Ian


     Thankfully I think our seasonality in Raleigh is not as severe. But MTR is a great equalizer. Another reason I like having 1 of my rooms be a monthly guest through airbnb. One couple staying for 3.5 months while the other bedroom churns every few days

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y

    That is really awesome! How did you settle on Raleigh? Is this just your area or did you look at multiple locations/cities?

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarita Scherpereel:

    That is really awesome! How did you settle on Raleigh? Is this just your area or did you look at multiple locations/cities?


    We moved here from DFW originally. Looked at Colorado Springs and a few other places, but fell in love with Raleigh for the trees, access to both mountains and beach, and STR does really well here. Once we moved here, we knew we wanted a house hack here instead of renting for sure.

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y

    Raleigh is beautiful. I agree. It's has easy access to a lot of wonderful places without the traffic of let's say- LA. 

    House Hacking is a wonderful way to get started in investing. Good for you!! 

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Carver:
    Quote from @Ian Jimeno:

    Love those numbers, Benjamin! 

    I'm sure as time goes on, rents will go up and your asset will appreciate. Keep us posted on how things are going. 

    I'm also moving to the MTR strategy as we go to the fall/winter seasons here in Denver. 4 months out of the year it's reeeaaal slow as an STR, but MTR strat could keep things more afloat.

    Cheers,

    Ian


     Thankfully I think our seasonality in Raleigh is not as severe. But MTR is a great equalizer. Another reason I like having 1 of my rooms be a monthly guest through airbnb. One couple staying for 3.5 months while the other bedroom churns every few days


    Your strategy is interesting. I haven't seen a lot of people (or anyone, really) doing a combo of STR and MTR in a shared space. How is that working out for your MTR guests? Do they mind the constant turnover? And how are you cleaning in 10 minutes???

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Benjamin Carver:
    Quote from @Ian Jimeno:

    Love those numbers, Benjamin! 

    I'm sure as time goes on, rents will go up and your asset will appreciate. Keep us posted on how things are going. 

    I'm also moving to the MTR strategy as we go to the fall/winter seasons here in Denver. 4 months out of the year it's reeeaaal slow as an STR, but MTR strat could keep things more afloat.

    Cheers,

    Ian


     Thankfully I think our seasonality in Raleigh is not as severe. But MTR is a great equalizer. Another reason I like having 1 of my rooms be a monthly guest through airbnb. One couple staying for 3.5 months while the other bedroom churns every few days


    Your strategy is interesting. I haven't seen a lot of people (or anyone, really) doing a combo of STR and MTR in a shared space. How is that working out for your MTR guests? Do they mind the constant turnover? And how are you cleaning in 10 minutes???


     Works really well. If they come through airbnb, they expect it. They know it functions for both. It's not listed as *only* MTR but it works out that way and I could technically set a 30 day min. 

    If they are solid, they pick up after themselves in common areas, keep the dishwasher running, and treat it like a home, making it *much* easier for me to keep it clean and ready for STR guests. 1-2 a month as needed I sweep/mop/catch up however needed, clean bathroom, etc. But otherwise, a room just needs new sheets (we have extras ready to go) and towels, snacks, and then we quickly wipe and spray everything down, vacuum (doesn't always need it after every single stay) and we are out. Got it down to a science pretty much.

    We have a station in a closet with 3 sets organized ready to go and a cleaning bucket with spray, wipes, dusting cloth, windex, etc.

    STR turnover averages maybe every 3 days. My schedule is flexible so I try to plan it during the day when they are out at work or whatnot. But they even stop and chat with me while I'm up cleaning and I'm able to check on them, make sure everything is good and see if anything else needs replaced like TP, paper towels, etc.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Don't need to be specific, but what area-ish are you in, in Raleigh?

    The STR consistency here is better than advertised, I'm getting about average of 5 days per visit.

  • Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 147 posts · 150 votes
    2y

    @Benjamin Carver Hey! Fellow house-hacker here.

    Thanks for sharing this update. I actually just was reading through another forum with someone asking about their experience house hacking with rentals by the room. You're a PRIME example. 

    I agree that "Mid Term Rentals" are less of a headache. Less turnover and more consistency. 

    I do a hybrid with our house hack. Target is for MTRs, but we do STR in the gaps between guests.

    In the future, once we move out of our unit, we may do one MTR and one STR. I think experimenting with both is a great idea while you're living in it. Less risky, because it's still a roof over your head and you can see what performs the best.


    Good luck with everything! I look forward to hearing more updates in the future. 

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Benjamin Carver:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Benjamin Carver:
    Quote from @Ian Jimeno:

    Love those numbers, Benjamin! 

    I'm sure as time goes on, rents will go up and your asset will appreciate. Keep us posted on how things are going. 

    I'm also moving to the MTR strategy as we go to the fall/winter seasons here in Denver. 4 months out of the year it's reeeaaal slow as an STR, but MTR strat could keep things more afloat.

    Cheers,

    Ian


     Thankfully I think our seasonality in Raleigh is not as severe. But MTR is a great equalizer. Another reason I like having 1 of my rooms be a monthly guest through airbnb. One couple staying for 3.5 months while the other bedroom churns every few days


    Your strategy is interesting. I haven't seen a lot of people (or anyone, really) doing a combo of STR and MTR in a shared space. How is that working out for your MTR guests? Do they mind the constant turnover? And how are you cleaning in 10 minutes???


     Works really well. If they come through airbnb, they expect it. They know it functions for both. It's not listed as *only* MTR but it works out that way and I could technically set a 30 day min. 

    If they are solid, they pick up after themselves in common areas, keep the dishwasher running, and treat it like a home, making it *much* easier for me to keep it clean and ready for STR guests. 1-2 a month as needed I sweep/mop/catch up however needed, clean bathroom, etc. But otherwise, a room just needs new sheets (we have extras ready to go) and towels, snacks, and then we quickly wipe and spray everything down, vacuum (doesn't always need it after every single stay) and we are out. Got it down to a science pretty much.

    We have a station in a closet with 3 sets organized ready to go and a cleaning bucket with spray, wipes, dusting cloth, windex, etc.

    STR turnover averages maybe every 3 days. My schedule is flexible so I try to plan it during the day when they are out at work or whatnot. But they even stop and chat with me while I'm up cleaning and I'm able to check on them, make sure everything is good and see if anything else needs replaced like TP, paper towels, etc.


     Very impressive!

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:

    Don't need to be specific, but what area-ish are you in, in Raleigh?

    The STR consistency here is better than advertised, I'm getting about average of 5 days per visit.


     NW Raleigh. Near Stonehenge

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.