Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
Can I REMOVE my homestead?

Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Posted

I have an interesting property tax situation because of my house hacking situation. I bought a duplex in Texas in 2020. I live in side A so I filed for homestead. The county put a homestead on half of my property, but this also re-categorized my property to State Code: A1 instead of B2 for 2021. Category A is a single family residence while Category B is multifamily. They are appraising my duplex as two separate single family dwellings. 

The reason this is a concern is because now I cannot use my neighbors as comparable properties as they are listed as B2 properties. These properties which are almost identical to my property are valued at $100k or more less than my property. The only difference is that the owner is not living in one side of those properties like me. A homestead usually helps with lowering taxable value, but it's kind of screwing me over in this situation. Is it possible it remove a homestead exemption and is it a good idea in the long run?

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Courtney Timms:

I have an interesting property tax situation because of my house hacking situation. I bought a duplex in Texas in 2020. I live in side A so I filed for homestead. The county put a homestead on half of my property, but this also re-categorized my property to State Code: A1 instead of B2 for 2021. Category A is a single family residence while Category B is multifamily. They are appraising my duplex as two separate single family dwellings. 

The reason this is a concern is because now I cannot use my neighbors as comparable properties as they are listed as B2 properties. These properties which are almost identical to my property are valued at $100k or more less than my property. The only difference is that the owner is not living in one side of those properties like me. A homestead usually helps with lowering taxable value, but it's kind of screwing me over in this situation. Is it possible it remove a homestead exemption and is it a good idea in the long run?

What do they say when you tell them that it’s a duplex and not separate buildings?

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied
They told me the same thing that I found in 2022 Texas Property Tax Assistance Property Classification Guide. I could not find the the 2023 Guide.

Category B Classification Questions
Q. The owner of a duplex lives in one of the units. He
applies for and receives a homestead exemption
on the part of the duplex in which he resides. How
should I classify the duplex?
A. You should classify an owner-occupied duplex with a
residence homestead exemption as Category A.
Note: If the owner occupies one of the units in a triplex or
a fourplex, classify the property as Category B. Owneroccupancy
does not change the classification for triplexes
and fourplexes.
BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied
Quote from @John Clark:

What do they say when you tell them that it’s a duplex and not separate buildings?
They told me the same thing that I found in 2022 Texas Property Tax
Assistance Property Classification Guide. I could not find the the 2023
Guide.

and fourplexes.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
They told me the same thing that I found in 2022 Texas Property Tax Assistance Property Classification Guide. I could not find the the 2023 Guide.

and fourplexes.
First, contact the appropriate politicians to get the rules changed.

second, contest the results as irrational. Triplexes can be condos, so duplexes can be simple multi-units. Irrational to treat them as per se different.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
Matt Devincenzo#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied

Property taxation classification doesn't change the property type and applicable comps. If you have a duplex and you don't have it legally subdivided either as two separate lots, or as a condo then you cannot sell one apart from the other. It should not matter if they classify it as 'Barney the purple dinosaur' for taxes, the property's comparable sales are other two unit homes that will sell as two unit homes. Tax (and often even zoning) designation don't change the comps for what it physically exists as.

Is a residential appraiser telling you this, or are you basing this assessment only on your own understanding of these classifications? 

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied
Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

Property taxation classification doesn't change the property type and applicable comps. If you have a duplex and you don't have it legally subdivided either as two separate lots, or as a condo then you cannot sell one apart from the other. It should not matter if they classify it as 'Barney the purple dinosaur' for taxes, the property's comparable sales are other two unit homes that will sell as two unit homes. Tax (and often even zoning) designation don't change the comps for what it physically exists as.

Is a residential appraiser telling you this, or are you basing this assessment only on your own understanding of these classifications? 

Yes, what you are saying makes sense to me. Actually the people telling me I can’t use B2 comps is Tax Shield!  

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Timms
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied
Quote from @John Clark:

and fourplexes.
First, contact the appropriate politicians to get the rules changed.

second, contest the results as irrational. Triplexes can be condos, so duplexes can be simple multi-units. Irrational to treat them as per se different.
Agreed. I will try contesting.