Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
House Hacking Partnership

Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Jul 10 2024, 14:11

Hey there,

I'm almost ready to purchase a house hack and have found some good deals right off the MLS. Trouble is that I don't yet have long-term employment in place (just moved to the area a month ago). I really want to make this happen, but I won't be qualified without that income. I have the reserves in place for the 5% down payment, 15K for emergencies, and have no debts!

I recently connected with a gal through a BP meetup and want to try and organize a partnership. I would provide the cash and backup reserves, I house hack one of the units, then she becomes the cosigner for me in order to be approved. In exchange, I'm thinking that she would collect all the cash flow and potential equity until I refinance and get the loan originated in my name... Is this a thing? Is this a equitable partnership?

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 10 2024, 22:47

Have you connected with any local banks? We have one in Chicago that would work through the things you're lacking for a purchase and offer a first time buyer grant! Local banks can have some wonderful lending options because they want to grow the area. 

Personal Partnerships with someone you recently met are too risky for my blood. I wouldn't want to partner with some of my family and friends. It takes a very special relationship to work with someone in such a risky industry. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Jul 10 2024, 22:58

@Sarita Scherpereel

Hey thanks for the reply! I haven't yet, and that's a great point. Connecting with local banks/lenders should be the next step. 

I can definitely see how a commitment on that partnership is very risky. I was thinking it was maybe less risky since I would try and refinance out of it when I had the chance, but it seems there are better options.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 10 2024, 23:31

I admire the passion to get started. I would kept connecting with lenders and realtors in the area. You sound really close to doing this without a partner. They might know programs that can help fill the gaps! Keep us posted on your progress! 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Jul 11 2024, 07:56

@Sarita Scherpereel

I'll keep it going, no worries there!! haha yes, I'm very excited to keep the BP forums updated on the process.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Pritchett
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Replied Aug 10 2024, 05:45

If you’re not dead set on house hacking specifically, I’ve got a couple of ideas that might get you started without having to prove income. Or, if that’s what you really want to do, what if you used a different type of loan to get into it. I’m not saying partnerships aren’t good - but if you didn’t want to rely on someone else, I bet we could figure something out! 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Zivanovich
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Aug 10 2024, 19:17

@Janet Pritchett

Hey Janet! Thanks for replying. I found a lender here in Spokane that will allow me to go through the process in 6 months or so, since i found long term employment with a great salary (plus some commission)! I'm going to use this time to save up my reserves, since they're not exactly where I want them to be anyway. 

However, I'd still love to hop on a phone call and see what you had to offer.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Pritchett
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Replied Aug 10 2024, 19:41

@Jacob Zivanovich sounds like a plan! 

Yes! Let’s connect!