Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Jaekwan Lee
Pro Member
Votes |
Do I need to make sure that a deal is under 1% & 50% rules?

Jaekwan Lee
Pro Member
Posted Jul 7 2024, 16:22

Hi folks, I am trying to buy a quadplex to house hack for my family. We are planning to occupy there for 1 ~ 2 years and looking for cash flow after we leave. So my plan is to get experience on managing property & maintaining tenants. And right now, I am looking at a deal that looks promising but number isn't that great but also not that bad. But it seems the deals is a little out of 1% & 50% rule. Here is the exact number. 

Property ask price: $486k but rent income is $4800($1200/unit). My mortgage will be $2600+(7.3% rate) so expenses can be $2200 at max as 45%. These numbers are not a house hacking scenario but to check if the deal is good so that I can start house hacking. In short, the deal has < 1% rule for rent to asking price and 50% can't be spent as expenses. I also feel this looks not great because of 7.3% interest rate but also I made it so conservative since I didn't take vacancy rate into account. 

- I am aware that possibly I need to negotiate the asking to 480k to match 1% rule but also not sure if that's convincing enough.  

Loading replies...