Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Finding Triplexes or Quadplexes

Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Posted

Hi all,

I'm looking to house hack in the next year or two and have been connecting with brokers and looking on Redfin, Zillow, Movoto, etc.

I'd really prefer to buy a Triplex or Quadplex, but I'm having a hard time finding many if any options. Obviously, I use the filters for multi-family, but it's usually always duplexes. Does anyone have any suggestions on best practices for finding these properties? I know these properties can be limited in Denver, but figured I'd ask!

Any information is appreciated and I'd love to connect!

Thank you,
Alec 

• Alec Bildstein
  • User Stats

Votes
    Chad Rocke
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Denver, CO
    Votes |
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Denver, CO
    Replied

@Alec Bildstein

Hey Alec, great job on starting to look now and get your ducks in a row, it’s never too early to start looking to get a feel for the market.

I’d love to chat more and hear about your real estate goals.

I have 9 doors in Denver/WI and have done short term, medium term, long term, rent by the room and I’m currently house hacking while renting out my basement and cut my mortgage in half. I’d be happy to share my experience and perspective on the current market and some tips on looking for multi family units.

I’ll send you a dm and we can grab coffee soon

User Stats

Votes
    Alec Bildstein
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied

Thank you, Chad! Looking forward to connecting with you.

• Alec Bildstein
  • BiggerPockets logo
    Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
    Wale Lawal
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    Replied

@Alec Bildstein

House hacking with triplex or quadplex properties can be a successful strategy in high-priced markets like Denver. To increase your chances of finding the right property, expand your search criteria, use multiple platforms like MLS, and network with local professionals like real estate agents, property managers, and wholesalers. Consider off-market properties through direct mail campaigns, driving for dollars, and working with wholesalers. Use tech tools like alert services and apps to find and reach out to homeowners. Keep at it, check listings a lot, and stay up-to-date on the housing market. Don't give up even when it's tough. Use your contacts and what you have in the real estate world. Keeping on and not giving up will help you find the right home in the end.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
    Denis Ponder
    Pro Member
    • New to Real Estate
    • Yuma, AZ
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • New to Real Estate
    • Yuma, AZ
    Replied

On Zillow, if you hover over the "More" heading, you will get a drop down.  From there, you can type triplex or quadplex, or other variations, to narrow down the search.  This will help if they use this term in the listing description.  It has helped me narrow down my search some depending on what I'm looking for.  Happy hunting!

• Denis Ponder
  • User Stats

Votes
    Alec Bildstein
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Alec Bildstein

House hacking with triplex or quadplex properties can be a successful strategy in high-priced markets like Denver. To increase your chances of finding the right property, expand your search criteria, use multiple platforms like MLS, and network with local professionals like real estate agents, property managers, and wholesalers. Consider off-market properties through direct mail campaigns, driving for dollars, and working with wholesalers. Use tech tools like alert services and apps to find and reach out to homeowners. Keep at it, check listings a lot, and stay up-to-date on the housing market. Don't give up even when it's tough. Use your contacts and what you have in the real estate world. Keeping on and not giving up will help you find the right home in the end.

Good luck!

Thanks, Wale! I appreciate your insight, it's very helpful!

• Alec Bildstein
  • User Stats

Votes
    Alec Bildstein
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

On Zillow, if you hover over the "More" heading, you will get a drop down.  From there, you can type triplex or quadplex, or other variations, to narrow down the search.  This will help if they use this term in the listing description.  It has helped me narrow down my search some depending on what I'm looking for.  Happy hunting!

This is super helpful, Denis! I didn't know about this feature, so thanks for sharing!!

• Alec Bildstein
  • User Stats

Votes
    Wale Lawal
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    Replied
    Quote from @Alec Bildstein:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Alec Bildstein

Good luck!

Thanks, Wale! I appreciate your insight, it's very helpful!

My pleasure!

Keep learning and growing...