Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Palani Willingham
  • New to Real Estate
  • Las Vegas
Votes |
House Hacking Fail

Palani Willingham
  • New to Real Estate
  • Las Vegas
Posted

I recently bought a condo with the intention of converting it into a rental after a year of living in it then buy another primary and repeat the process. I used a real estate agent and told them that was my plan. After moving in, I read an article on my community saying that a man was forced to evict his tenants because no renters were allowed in the community. As you could imagine, I was very upset because this meant that I couldn’t house hack my place and turn it into a rental. I felt like my real estate agent failed me because he overlooked that huge factor about the property.

This leads us to my dilemma. I’ve only lived in the place for 5 months and I don’t know if I should:

1) sell the place after a year and buy another primary

2) stay in the property for 2 years to avoid capital gains tax

Please let me know your thoughts. I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!

Loading replies...