Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Does anyone have experience house hacking in San Diego?

Dane Lopez
Posted Nov 8 2023, 17:41

So I'm looking to purchase my first property in San Diego and I've deduced that the most effective way to do so is going to be via house hacking. I've done research on the subject and know that building a team is an important aspect of being successful with this strategy. 

Does anyone have experience house hacking in San Diego? What were some pit falls you found along the way? What were the successes? I'm looking to get in touch with a real estate agent who can help me throughout this journey. Also, if anyone knows of any private lenders or has any success experience with seller financing I'd love to know. I'm definitely going to need to creatively finance the property, at least at first, and then REFI the property when the time is right. 

Any guidance or references will be greatly appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Simpson
Lender
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 9 2023, 04:02

@Dane Lopez nice to meet you and YES lots of my clients have done house hacks and I have been in the real estate game in SD for 20 years.  We should jump on a call so I can help answer questions and understand more about your goals.  

I sent you a DM

User Stats

Votes
Keith Mintz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 9 2023, 08:20
Quote from @Dane Lopez:

So I'm looking to purchase my first property in San Diego and I've deduced that the most effective way to do so is going to be via house hacking. I've done research on the subject and know that building a team is an important aspect of being successful with this strategy. 

Does anyone have experience house hacking in San Diego? What were some pit falls you found along the way? What were the successes? I'm looking to get in touch with a real estate agent who can help me throughout this journey. Also, if anyone knows of any private lenders or has any success experience with seller financing I'd love to know. I'm definitely going to need to creatively finance the property, at least at first, and then REFI the property when the time is right. 

I have experience house hacking but in Sacramento. I am now also doing it in San Diego. 

I love house hacking & am a licensed agent who specialize in Co-living/house hacking & STR.

Whether you're looking for multi family or a single family home, get something with the most bedrooms and opportunity to add bedrooms down the road. I like renting by the bedroom for max ROI.

Also maybe considering putting one of the rooms or a unit on STR you will typically increase income by 50-100% than a typical LTR. We manage 100+ str, these numbers are from experience.

Also the price obviously matters, I like to find something that can completely coverage expenses ideally, and a location that is developing and attractive for STR if you take that route. Something like Claremont, normal heights, Logan heights, city heights, university heights...etc. Areas not far from downtown and PB will do good for STR and Co-living.

Feel free to reach out!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Nov 9 2023, 09:42

@Dane Lopez

I can second @Keith Mintz's rent by the room strategy. I've done this twice and it's a great balance of higher cash flow but less headache than an STR in my opinion

Although, in the right area and run properly they can crush. Just have to understand an STR is like running a very small hotel, and a LTR or renting by the room has completely different dynamics.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Donaghy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 9 2023, 10:12

@Dane Lopez Househacking is a great option to get started in SD, I have many clients purchase househack properties. Anything from rent-by-the-room to multi-unit properties, to ADU plays. Happy to have a more detail conversation about your situation.

Some of the pitfalls I've seen, is having unrealistic expectations, and not doing proper due diligence on larger older properties. Even those can turn into successes. I have had many clients purchase multiple properties with my assistance. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 9 2023, 10:45

Dane, 

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Question. Are you looking to connect with a private lender for the house hack? Or just to have them in your network for the future? 

House hacks obviously bring in less income because you are occupying one of the rentable units. Using private money comes with higher interest rates which may make this less viable. I know you said your goal was to refi but why not start with traditional owner-occupant financing? 

Seller financing would definitely be a great option though. 

Best of luck house hacking! 

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2023, 19:26
Quote from @Kenny Simpson:

@Dane Lopez nice to meet you and YES lots of my clients have done house hacks and I have been in the real estate game in SD for 20 years.  We should jump on a call so I can help answer questions and understand more about your goals.  

I sent you a DM

Thanks for the reply Kenny! Just responded to your DM. Looking forward to speaking with you.

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2023, 19:29
Quote from @Keith Mintz:
Quote from @Dane Lopez:

I have experience house hacking but in Sacramento. I am now also doing it in San Diego. 

I love house hacking & am a licensed agent who specialize in Co-living/house hacking & STR.

Whether you're looking for multi family or a single family home, get something with the most bedrooms and opportunity to add bedrooms down the road. I like renting by the bedroom for max ROI.

Also maybe considering putting one of the rooms or a unit on STR you will typically increase income by 50-100% than a typical LTR. We manage 100+ str, these numbers are from experience.

Also the price obviously matters, I like to find something that can completely coverage expenses ideally, and a location that is developing and attractive for STR if you take that route. Something like Claremont, normal heights, Logan heights, city heights, university heights...etc. Areas not far from downtown and PB will do good for STR and Co-living.

Feel free to reach out!

Wow this is great insight! I just sent you a DM. Looking forward to connecting. 

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2023, 19:36
Quote from @Kenneth Donaghy:

@Dane Lopez Househacking is a great option to get started in SD, I have many clients purchase househack properties. Anything from rent-by-the-room to multi-unit properties, to ADU plays. Happy to have a more detail conversation about your situation.

Some of the pitfalls I've seen, is having unrealistic expectations, and not doing proper due diligence on larger older properties. Even those can turn into successes. I have had many clients purchase multiple properties with my assistance. 

Would love to hear about your experience. Just sent you a DM!

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2023, 19:40
Quote from @Benjamin Sulka:

Dane, 

Question. Are you looking to connect with a private lender for the house hack? Or just to have them in your network for the future? 

House hacks obviously bring in less income because you are occupying one of the rentable units. Using private money comes with higher interest rates which may make this less viable. I know you said your goal was to refi but why not start with traditional owner-occupant financing? 

I'm thinking to connect with them for the house hack but also for the future. I know that private lending probably doesn't make 100% sense if I'm going to be living in one of the units, but I'm exploring all my options for creative financing (if the numbers make sense of course) because I don't think that I would qualify for traditional-occupant financing. 

I'm hoping seller financing can be a clever way to get my foot in the door!

Appreciate the reply!

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 10 2023, 13:23
Quote from @Dane Lopez:

Dane, 

I'm thinking to connect with them for the house hack but also for the future. I know that private lending probably doesn't make 100% sense if I'm going to be living in one of the units, but I'm exploring all my options for creative financing (if the numbers make sense of course) because I don't think that I would qualify for traditional-occupant financing. 

Appreciate the reply!

Best of luck to you, Dane!

User Stats

Votes
Dane Lopez
Votes |
Replied Nov 10 2023, 22:44
Quote from @Dane Lopez:

Dane, 

Appreciate the reply!

Best of luck to you, Dane!

Thanks Benjamin!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied Nov 14 2023, 16:06

@Dane Lopez - Welcome! I've personally house hacked and done seller-financing recently in Temecula, Hemet, and Pensacola, Florida. I'm an agent in Temecula and source similar deals for investors and primary owners. Let me know if you ever want to talk - they go fast an typically don't hit the market. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 20 2023, 18:44

What is your pain threshold?  If its high, look for the property that allows you the most rentable spaces/units in a demographically acceptable area (Since you will be living with them) and perhaps has some non-rentable bonus space that you can live in yourself....Ie a garage or office space.  The more your willing to forgo comfort the more opportunities you may have.