Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kristyn Cross
Votes |
Single mom wanting to get started

Kristyn Cross
Posted

I'm a newly single mom (35 years old) to a sweet baby girl who just turned 1. I'm currently living with my parents. Living under my parents roof while trying to raise my daughter is too much and I need to get my own space. I'm very grateful that they have allowed me stay with them, but I think it's time I move out.

I have recently learned about house hacking and it excites me to think that I can get started in real estate investing with little down and I could possibly change me and my daughter's life. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck and I really want to achieve financial freedom while doing something I'm passionate about. No one in my family has a clue about real estate investing and I grew up expecting to work the M-F from 9-5 and paying on a 30 year mortgage that will hopefully be paid off by the time I retire at the age of 65. I don't want that kind of life and I want my daughter to grow up knowing that there are other possibilities if she also desires something different.

I don't currently have a retirement account and I need to change this. I have my daughter full time and I currently work 2 days a week. My mom watches my daughter those 2 days while I work and I don't have to pay any childcare which Im very thankful for. While my daughter is so young I want to stay part time. I can afford to move out and rent something while working 2 days a week, but I know I would be living paycheck to paycheck, so that's where house hacking could possibly help.

I have an emergency fund and a good amount in savings. I've been listening to the Bigger Pockets podcast, but I'm just not sure where to start. I don't have anyone to talk to or ask. My family thinks I'm absolutely nuts when I talk about house hacking. They have no idea what I'm talking about when I bring up real estate investing. I do have a current real estate license that I never used, so I've really forgotten that knowledge.

What advice or tips would you have for me?

Loading replies...