New College Grad Chicago Multifamily FHA (House Hack)

New College Grad Chicago Multifamily FHA (House Hack)

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 4 votes

Hi- I'm a 22-year-old college grad. My first full-time job out of school is remote with a startup that gives me flexibility to explore other interests like real estate. I have $30,000 already set aside for a down payment, thanks to savings from various jobs and internships while in school. Now that I am full-time, my projected savings rate means I will have $50,000 to put toward a down payment by the start of 2024. Note that this is not my whole net worth- I also invest in a Roth IRA and standard ETF portfolio, but I plan on keeping that money separate as I want my portfolio to be at most 50% real estate.

I plan to house-hack a multi-family property using an FHA loan. Based on some preliminary conversations with loan officers and my math, I'm comfortable purchasing a property worth up to $950,000. I'd ideally like to buy something between $450k and $700k. I have five finalist cities: Chicago, Houston, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Antonio, and Jacksonville/Central Florida Coast. Chicago is my first choice because it's convenient for my work, a city where I have family, and somewhere where I feel I could cultivate a meaningful social life. I understand I stand to lose appreciation potential compared to a city like Houston or San Antonio and tax savings compared to a place like Jacksonville. However, given that I'm choosing a home for the next 12-18 months rather than a pure investment property makes me lean toward Chicago for the aforementioned reasons.

Additionally, because Chicago is such a large, diverse market, I feel confident that with the right team in place, I could close on a property with 3+ units in an appreciating neighborhood like Logan Square, East Garfield Park, South Shore, Pilsen, Portage Park, or somewhere similar. My two non-negotiable criteria are that the area has a stellar rental history, and the property produces break-even margins while I occupy a unit and a 10% cash-on-cash return after that. My approach is that I don't need to hit a home run here. Just stepping into the batters' box and getting to a stable first base feels like an accomplishment at age 22. 


I am open to buying as early as January 2024 and as late as May 2024. The expert consensus seems to be that things will get worse before they get better, and I know that every month I don't buy is another month that I put more money away for a down payment or safety net. Based on this, I feel it makes sense to wait a few months and continue to learn/ refine my criterion before entering the market. 

With this context in mind, I'd be incredibly appreciative of your insight on any of the following questions:

-Do you recommend any loan officers or real estate agents in the Chicago area who have experience creating successful outcomes for people with goals similar to mine?

-Considering the five finalist cities I named in my second paragraph and the context provided, am I mistakenly choosing Chicago? I know the other cities have pros, and I'd love to buy property in them someday too. I'd be more interested in why Chicago is the wrong place for a buyer with a strategy like mine. 

-Do you have experience in the Chicago market or a situation like mine? If so, I'd love to hear your perspective on what I shared, your venture, and anything you think I may need to consider. 

-What is your opinion of my outlook on the real estate market in general? 

PS- My only motivation behind sharing detailed numbers/information is the hope of receiving specific, actionable advice from the BP community. I hope my tone reads as such! 

3Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Hey @Declan McManus, welcome to the forums! I put my responses to your questions below in bold:

-Do you recommend any loan officers or real estate agents in the Chicago area who have experience creating successful outcomes for people with goals similar to mine? I can recommend investor-friendly lenders in Chicagoland. The lenders I work with are experienced with house hackers like yourself. Disclosure: I'm an agent and house hacker in Chicago and I mostly work with house hackers.

-Considering the five finalist cities I named in my second paragraph and the context provided, am I mistakenly choosing Chicago? I know the other cities have pros, and I'd love to buy property in them someday too. I'd be more interested in why Chicago is the wrong place for a buyer with a strategy like mine. It's really a matter of opinion. You'll hear many investors here on BiggerPockets criticize Chicago for any of the following reasons: tenant friendly laws, outmigration, higher property taxes, etc. But like you said, every city has pros and cons. Here are a few reasons to consider investing in Chicago though:

https://www.noradarealestate.c...

https://www.gcrealtyinc.com/bl...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/... - from last year but Chicago came in as one of the best house hacking markets in the country.

-Do you have experience in the Chicago market or a situation like mine? If so, I'd love to hear your perspective on what I shared, your venture, and anything you think I may need to consider. I'm an agent and house hacker in Chicago (Belmont Cragin) and I mostly work with house hackers. If you're looking to use an FHA loan to acquire a 3-4 unit property, the FHA self sufficiency test is going to disqualify a lot of properties simply because they don't pass the test. For that reason I usually recommend a house hacker get pre approved for 5-10% down conventional loans as well. Gives you more potential properties to consider.

-What is your opinion of my outlook on the real estate market in general? It's going to remain competitive until we have more inventory. And when rates do eventually come down as people anticipate toward the end of this year, more buyers are going to jump back in. So far in the last few years we've seen real estate become less affordable for the average person and while price reductions have been more prevalent in the pandemic "boom markets" many people have been surprised to see how resilient the housing market is. That's due to the basic market fundamentals (supply/demand).

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Declan McManus, welcome to the forums! I put my responses to your questions below in bold:

    -Do you recommend any loan officers or real estate agents in the Chicago area who have experience creating successful outcomes for people with goals similar to mine? I can recommend investor-friendly lenders in Chicagoland. The lenders I work with are experienced with house hackers like yourself. Disclosure: I'm an agent and house hacker in Chicago and I mostly work with house hackers.

    -Considering the five finalist cities I named in my second paragraph and the context provided, am I mistakenly choosing Chicago? I know the other cities have pros, and I'd love to buy property in them someday too. I'd be more interested in why Chicago is the wrong place for a buyer with a strategy like mine. It's really a matter of opinion. You'll hear many investors here on BiggerPockets criticize Chicago for any of the following reasons: tenant friendly laws, outmigration, higher property taxes, etc. But like you said, every city has pros and cons. Here are a few reasons to consider investing in Chicago though:

    https://www.noradarealestate.c...

    https://www.gcrealtyinc.com/bl...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/... - from last year but Chicago came in as one of the best house hacking markets in the country.

    -Do you have experience in the Chicago market or a situation like mine? If so, I'd love to hear your perspective on what I shared, your venture, and anything you think I may need to consider. I'm an agent and house hacker in Chicago (Belmont Cragin) and I mostly work with house hackers. If you're looking to use an FHA loan to acquire a 3-4 unit property, the FHA self sufficiency test is going to disqualify a lot of properties simply because they don't pass the test. For that reason I usually recommend a house hacker get pre approved for 5-10% down conventional loans as well. Gives you more potential properties to consider.

    -What is your opinion of my outlook on the real estate market in general? It's going to remain competitive until we have more inventory. And when rates do eventually come down as people anticipate toward the end of this year, more buyers are going to jump back in. So far in the last few years we've seen real estate become less affordable for the average person and while price reductions have been more prevalent in the pandemic "boom markets" many people have been surprised to see how resilient the housing market is. That's due to the basic market fundamentals (supply/demand).

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    This is extremely helpful; thank you. I'll message you about the lenders. 

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
    3y

    Hey @Declan McManus - wow, I like how you have fully committed yourself to growth by aggressively saving your money. Similar to @Paul De Luca, I am a realtor and investor that has house hacked and rehabbed a few properties. I work with loan officers that can qualify you for the right deal when the time is right for you. I always advise speaking to a few lenders to get a better understanding of the different options they have for you, but at the end of the day, it will be who you trust. 

    Chicago is an incredible market to get started in if you want cashflow, appreciation, and future equity. I would definitely be careful with vetting your tenants because its a tenant friendly state BUT even then, always prepare for the worst case scenario and connect yourself with attorneys that can help you if you ever go through an eviction. 

    Chicago is 30% down in inventory from last year AND we were already down in the number of new listings since the pandemic. It's tough because the number of new listings is down which is keeping prices up right now. I don't think we will ever go down to the 3% level but definitely should stabilize sometime in the next 6 months hopefully. 

    I hope this information if helpful to you :)

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    @Declan McManus

    Hi Declan, 

    excited to see this post as it brings back memories of when I was 23 years old and bought my first 4 unit in Chicago 1 year out of college. So I think I may be of some help here! Feel free to reach out to me to expand on anything i've highlighted below. 

    -Do you recommend any loan officers or real estate agents in the Chicago area who have experience creating successful outcomes for people with goals similar to mine?

    So in regards to successful outcomes, it is more so on the real estate agent to negotiate the perfect deal to benefit you the buyer (tax prorations, credits, etc). Lenders just need to provide you with the best rates and the agent should be able to do the rest. You have 45 days to run your credit with as many lenders and it counts as one credit hit. Therefore, you're able to check with different lenders for the lowest rate possible. 

    -Considering the five finalist cities I named in my second paragraph and the context provided, am I mistakenly choosing Chicago? I know the other cities have pros, and I'd love to buy property in them someday too. I'd be more interested in why Chicago is the wrong place for a buyer with a strategy like mine.

    Personally I am an advocated for Chicago. The city just has the qualities others are not able to replicate. Price per unit, population, year over year appreciation, new development. Honestly too the cashflow here is none that i've personally seen at the price point! 

    -Do you have experience in the Chicago market or a situation like mine? If so, I'd love to hear your perspective on what I shared, your venture, and anything you think I may need to consider.

    Answer above

    -What is your opinion of my outlook on the real estate market in general?

    In general, I think if the deal makes sense then its a great time to buy. Cash flow is your top priority and if its cash flowing then go for it. I believe if the rates drop, everyone currently waiting is going to be in for a huge surprise because the competition will enter the market once again causing prices to rise! 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Yo yo @Declan McManus - Absolutely amazing that you already have $30k on deck to invest at 22 years old!

    My recommendation would be to move somewhere warm and fun while you are 22 years old.  I traveled with my work and lived in several amazing cities during my twenties and it was an awesome experience.

    Chicago will always be here and is an amazing place to invest...I came back after 7 years and started investing locally, but I wish I would have bought a place in Austin when I lived there 10 years ago lol

    Take advantage of your flexibility while you can...

    If you decide to make Chicago the spot I am more than happy to connect and help you out in any way possible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.