Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Armando Carrera
Votes |
FHA House hacking risks?

Armando Carrera
Posted Jun 19 2023, 14:50

Hi everyone,

Im trying to figure/find out how strict the rules are when it comes to getting an FHA loan (I want the minimum down payment) and renting it right away. Ive read that you must occupy the home at least 1 year before you can rent it out as an investment.

Have you guys tried renting the home out immediately after closing escrow? Have any of you gotten in trouble for doing this? 

I want to purchase another investment home but dont really want to house hack...

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Josh Young
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 19 2023, 15:29

@Armando Carrera what you are talking about is mortgage fraud and it’s a felony that could send you to prison. 

User Stats

Votes
Armando Carrera
Votes |
Replied Jun 19 2023, 15:33
Quote from @Josh Young:

@Armando Carrera what you are talking about is mortgage fraud and it’s a felony that could send you to prison. 

Hi Josh,

Appreciate the quick response. I dont want to commit a felony or fraud or even less go to prison. I will totally not ever consider such an idea...

Thank you!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jun 19 2023, 15:38

Armando,

The best way to avoid issues is to buy a Multifamily (2-4 Unit) as your primmary with 3.5% down. Then in 6 months refinance into a conventional loan and you can exit the property legally. There are certain factors that need to be met like LTV. If you focus on a fixer upper you can renovate in 6 months and refinance on the ARV.

You only need to be at a 85% LTV to refinance and its not hard to build 15% equity in a property in this market enviroment. There are a few other options as well that can be taken to escape the FHA to Conv. 12 month rule.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Jason Lloyd
Agent
  • Investor
  • Newport News, VA
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Newport News, VA
Replied Jun 19 2023, 16:59

That would be mortgage fraud and a felony. Basically, you're saying your intent is not to move in, but with owner-occupant loans for lower downpayments, you will sign a statement certifying your intent is to occupy the property. It also puts your agent and lender in a tough spot where it could be a perceived "fraud for profit" and they could lose their license and face time/penalties if they knowingly cooperate. (I am not a lawyer so none of this is legal advice but have seen similar situations occur). If you want a lower downpayment way of investing without moving into the property, I recommend the BRRRR method. Will take a lot more learning than the househack, but its legal. Connect with local wholesalers, partners, hardmoney lenders and DSCR lenders and familiarize yourself with real estate contracts.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Brattelli
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Medford, NJ
Replied Jun 20 2023, 06:11

@Armando Carrera as others said above that's mortgage fraud and not at all what an FHA loan is for. Save up more capital and buy an investment property or just house hack for a year. 1 year really isn't that long and flies by pretty quick. Just suck it up in the short term and reap the benefits in the future.

User Stats

Votes
Armando Carrera
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2023, 08:25
Quote from @Michael Brattelli:

@Armando Carrera as others said above that's mortgage fraud and not at all what an FHA loan is for. Save up more capital and buy an investment property or just house hack for a year. 1 year really isn't that long and flies by pretty quick. Just suck it up in the short term and reap the benefits in the future.

Hi Michael 

I hear you (and everyone else), I have well over the necessary 20% down in the market I’m interested in. I just really didn’t want to use it up since I have other plans as well. 
thank you all

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 2 2023, 06:47

Armando, 

Do a house hack with 3.5-5% and live in the property for a year, build some equity, and you'll have a full scale rental when you move out. 

Real estate is a long term wealth building strategy and in that one year you can learn a lot about home improvement and land lording. 

You'll be able to maintain most of your capital and you'll learn a lot of useful skills. 

I know this post is from 3 months ago but this is my 2 cents. I hope you've been successful! 

All the best!