Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jose Aguilar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Votes |
2k monthly mortgage, wheres the cash flow?

Jose Aguilar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Posted Aug 19 2022, 13:43

Hi, I'll make this brief. I have no assets but am planning a future in real estate. I research occasionally and build scenarios in my head to see how purchasing proprieties will result in cash flow. This most recent situation where I discovered a decent priced multi unit property with 2 units, 1 with 3 bed 2 bath the other 2 bed 2 bath. I used the bigger pockets calculator where it estimated monthly mortgage with taxes and insurance included came out to 2.1k. My question is how would I utilize house hacking with this particular property? How can I live in that property while the tenant pays my mortgage? Property is located in the central valley. Thanks in advanced.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Byrer
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 19 2022, 14:05

@Jose Aguilar house hacking isn't hard to get started. You have to figure out the numbers of the full housing payment (PITI) and then compare it against the rents in the area. If that cash flow makes sense then the next step would be to get Pre-Approved. This allow you to know that you can afford the property as well as get clear on how much cash you need to close as well as your real housing payments. There's plenty of on-line rates published, but many can be deceptive (charging points for lower rates). If you don't have assets keep in mind that you can get a "gift" from a family member to help cover the costs to buy. Would think the return on real estate will be the market right now. FHA offers the lowest down payment at only 3.5% and is very popular. If you qualify for a VA loan that would 0% down if you enough VA entitlement. Other than that Freddie Mac has a Home Possible loan that only requires 5% if you qualify. Long story short... there are many ways to get started with low down payment options. Just have to get clear on what you qualify for before you start shopping!

User Stats

Votes
Jose Aguilar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Replied Aug 19 2022, 14:37

Thank you for the response! I see now, I would have to do more research on PITI this is the first I have heard of that acronym (jargon).

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Aug 19 2022, 14:47

I would first get pre approved so you have an idea on your monthly payment and closing costs. For this duplex it doesn't sound like the 1 tenant would cover the mortgage. For a house hack that's okay. The benefit is lower living expenses, once you move out positive cashflow and getting your foot in the door of owning real estate. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Byrer
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 19 2022, 14:56

@Jose Aguilar Sorry moving too fast... PITI is Principal, Interest, Taxes and Insurance. It's your full housing payment.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Aug 19 2022, 15:01

@Jose Aguilar
Some markets may not support having the tenants pay all your mortgage because the prices are too high compared to rents.  

User Stats

Votes
Jose Aguilar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Replied Aug 19 2022, 15:29
Quote from @Caleb Brown:

I would first get pre approved so you have an idea on your monthly payment and closing costs. For this duplex it doesn't sound like the 1 tenant would cover the mortgage. For a house hack that's okay. The benefit is lower living expenses, once you move out positive cashflow and getting your foot in the door of owning real estate. 

Thank you, this quote broadens my perspective a ton!

User Stats

Votes
Jose Aguilar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Central California
Replied Aug 19 2022, 15:29
Quote from @Patrick Drury:

@Jose Aguilar
Some markets may not support having the tenants pay all your mortgage because the prices are too high compared to rents.  

I see now, its about lowering the cost of living! Thanks