Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Justin Sofman
Pro Member
Votes |
Anyone try sober living home?

Justin Sofman
Pro Member
Posted

Hi all - I’m kicking around the idea of buying a big single family home and offering housing for sober living. People in recovery need a place to stay free of drugs and alcohol. From what I understand, it’s common to place 2 beds in each room and charge weekly/monthly. Returns are higher but the downside is that it’s more hands on. 

While my primary goal is to make money, I have a soft spot for those with addiction. I see this as a chance to do some good and make better money than if I were to go the traditional route. 

Anyone tried their hand at a sober living house? I’m finding it difficult to find examples of people doing this. 

Thanks in advance BP!

-Justin

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied

Have you looked into the comprehensive and liability insurance for that type of property/business?  I have seen several fail due to lawsuits and insufficent coverage.  Have you looked into assited living facility as they are far more profitable?

Sober living facilities can carry a higher insurance cost plus riders due to liability and likelihood of predictable behavioral issues. (Not all states).

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Justin Sofman:

Hi all - I’m kicking around the idea of buying a big single family home and offering housing for sober living. People in recovery need a place to stay free of drugs and alcohol. From what I understand, it’s common to place 2 beds in each room and charge weekly/monthly. Returns are higher but the downside is that it’s more hands on. 

While my primary goal is to make money, I have a soft spot for those with addiction. I see this as a chance to do some good and make better money than if I were to go the traditional route. 

Anyone tried their hand at a sober living house? I’m finding it difficult to find examples of people doing this. 

Thanks in advance BP!

-Justin

You can run a charity or run a business but you can't do both. Most halfway houses and similar stay solvent through donations, government grants and insurance billing. Few if any make any money. The clientele tend to be habitually unemployed/unemployable and relapse is not uncommon, which often leads to fights, damages, or the revocation of licensing privileges by the municipality. You'll likely have to pay cash for the property as it's unlikely you'll find financing for this type of endeavor. 

I would recommend not following this any further unless you want to run a charity. A better idea would be to get a stable of solid rental properties under your umbrella and use the profits if you like to run your recovery home. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Rick Albert#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Maybe there is a compromise. I agree with those above that it could be complicated but I'm not in this space. Maybe the compromise is you rent it out to someone experienced in this space. So for you it is hands off but still get the premium rental price. The company can run it who has a proven track record and the necessary insurance in place.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey Justin - I converted one of my LTRs so a sober living home for a similar reason. I also care for those looking for a restart, so the mission and purpose resonate with me. Much some of the responses below, there are legal implications to consider. 

By a stroke of luck, I actually met a sober living operator at an open house, and we jived well. This timing worked well when one of my rentals had been vacant for a few weeks, and I had trouble finding a good tenant. So it worked out for both of us, and they'd sign a long-term lease.

I'd suggest looking into sober living operators in your area. If you want to chat more about my experience, feel free to DM me!

User Stats

Votes
Didier Bizimungu
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied

Hi Daniel! 

I'm starting a similar partnership here in August. How do your profits compare to LTR if you don't mind me asking? 

And are there any increases in maintenance or other issues you've experienced with the transition?

Thank you, 

User Stats

Votes
John Crystal
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange city fl
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange city fl
Replied

Hey Justin we're you able to create a sober living home?

User Stats

Votes
Justin Sofman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Hey John, no. I started a business/had twins since inquiring (biz not in real estate) and that has taken up my time. 

I've since decided to more passively invest in real estate slowly via brrrr... I think lol. Life is crazy. Just stacking up $ for a brrrr deal at the moment.