Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Grey Fraser
Votes |
Will Real Estate continue to be a strong investment for the coming generations?

Grey Fraser
Posted Jul 13 2024, 20:36

I am 17 years old, and currently invest a pretty good amount in stocks. My plan is to allow my portfolio to compound, and then after college pill up some money and start investing in real-estate. I understand real-estate is cyclical, and some times may be better than others, but regardless, it trends upwards over time. However it seems that things are changing, even if housing prices settle out in the coming months and years, they still are and still will be at record breaking highs, which has left my generations purchasing power significantly lower than any others. Properties are so much more expensive it seems like a whole different world than a lot of real-estate investors likely started in and it leaves me wondering if real-estate will still be a strong investment for my generation or really just me when I am in my 20's.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Jul 13 2024, 21:39

It will always be a great time to be in real estate.  As a new investor you have many more options to invest than a larger investor.  And a greater chance for a positive return.  

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 13 2024, 22:01

Yes.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Thomas M.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2024, 15:53

I think it will be important to buy in areas that are just starting to sprawl. Then you can be in it for the long haul when the area becomes more developed and the market starts to mature. The idea is to take advantage of the growth of cities and suburbs.

The price of getting started is higher for you than it was for previous generations.  I think that's what you're referring to here and I agree with your sentiment. That is a problem for sure. The ceiling of property values is not infinite. We are in a historically unusual time where the increase in credit and lending has pumped up prices. Will it continue? Nobody knows.

The growth of RE values is also predicated on growing population and increased population density. If those things go down the values will go down (or rise more slowly), like in the rust belt.

And keep in mind you're on a forum full of RE agents. Agents will ALWAYS tell you it's a good time to buy. That's how they make their money. It's also ALWAYS a good time to sell, upgrade for that growing family, downsize for that retirement. Agents encourage MORE TRANSACTIONS and that will be their general message.

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Jul 14 2024, 16:31

We will have a major shortage of SFR for at least a couple decades. I would focus on single family vs MF. Maybe house hack a duplex to start off.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 15 2024, 04:50

@Grey Fraser

Real estate markets show cyclical growth, stability, and decline. Long-term trends appreciate over time. As a young investor, you can navigate the market by utilizing creative financing options, diversifying investments, and building knowledge. Strategies for you include house hacking, the BRRRR Strategy, and partnerships. Staying informed, building a strong financial foundation, and leveraging creative strategies are crucial.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jul 15 2024, 15:29

If certain political agendas don’t take over it looks like a good option to invest in real estate for long-term wealth accumulation.

User Stats

Votes
Grey Fraser
Votes |
Replied Jul 15 2024, 15:35
Quote from @Joe S.:

If certain political agendas don’t take over it looks like a good option to invest in real estate for long-term wealth accumulation.

Is this referencing if trump wins the election. If so why?

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jul 15 2024, 15:40
Quote from @Grey Fraser:
Quote from @Joe S.:

I’m not referencing that at all. I didn’t even name any political movement directly. You would probably need to start a different thread for that.

User Stats

Votes
Grey Fraser
Votes |
Replied Jul 15 2024, 15:58
Quote from @Joe S.:
Quote from @Grey Fraser:
Quote from @Joe S.:

I’m not referencing that at all. I didn’t even name any political movement directly. You would probably need to start a different thread for that.

ok yes I figured you werent but with the upcoming election and phrasing I couldnt tell. This is very helpful, thanks.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:17

Is owning land with utility a strong investment?

For sure. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 16 2024, 19:56

Real Estate Is just a term? that describes the medium or the mechanism of the true underlying investing action. Real estate is just the wrapper around the actual thing you're doing which is Banking. IE capital allocation and leverage.

Without the leverage, real estate investing is actually not a particularly good investment. Take a look at the study from Amsterdam. by Piet Eichholtz 
Eichholtz_A-long-run-house-price-index.pdf (maastrichtrealestate.com)

basically a nearly 400 year study of the prices of the same homes along the best canals in Amsterdam since 1628, and the prices rose at about 2-3% or the historic rate of inflation there, same study has been retroactively and proactively studied in almost all countries on Earth and they all get same answers over long term, (Re rises with inflation rate) Now you can have short term bubbles like now in USA, but they usually deflate like the 22% drop from 1929-1935 or the 34% drop from 2006 to 2012, which many of us benefitted from. I guarantee it will deflate again, as it always has in past, or at least go flat for 10-20 years until incomes catch up. Why, because you need people to buy those houses, and people's incomes only rise at the rate of inflation. 

But imagine you don't pay cash but rather borrow so your 5k cash/closing-down payment to buy a 100k STR, then in year 1 it rises 2k - only a paltry 2%, but you make a 40% profit as you are levered 20:1, and that beats the best year for stocks ever.

So real estate is not actually about "real estate". It's about banking just like almost all businesses. You could be drop shipping from an Amazon warehouse business using leveraged inventory and doing the exact same thing or borrowing billions to buy NVIDIA GPU's to retrofit and add on to your own servers like my favorite business does, SMCI. Most businesses are about banking, but they have different wrappers around them. Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jul 19 2024, 09:23

@Grey Fraser

Like @Russell Brazil so succinctly put it, yes, real estate will continue to be a good investment. 

Just like in other investment avenues, there are no secrets in real estate. Your timeline should be long, and luckily for you, it will be really long. You're 17. 

Are you going to get 15% appreciation over the next year, like we saw in Denver and Colorado Springs in 2021/2022 (and elsewhere in the country)? Probably not.

But the basic dynamics don't lie. The Millennial generation is bigger than the boomer generation and they've just now entered peak buying age, meaning demand will only continue to be strong.. Meanwhile, a legacy of restrictive local regulations around building has kept supply low. 

Strong demand, limited supply ... prices go up.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Jul 19 2024, 17:25

Good to know that you are starting to learn and gather info's at a young age. Real Estate is always a good investment, although some experts have says on that, we don't handle the future the first step to do is continuous learning especially always keeping an eye on the risk