Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Garcia
  • Tampa FL
Votes |
Refinancing and leaving a 3.5 fixed rate behind

Jorge Garcia
  • Tampa FL
Posted

Have refinancing rates gotten better or is it recommendable to wait until next year to see what happens? I want to start a business and I want to use that money towards it. However I got this property locked in a fixed 30 year 3.5 rate and it hurts saying goodbye to it. Are there any banks doing refinances with some good rates at the moment? Just need a little insight from someone that has done it recently or know about this topic. Thanks ..

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Jorge Garcia

I would look into bringing on a partner if possible or getting a different type of loan than refinancing your home

Have you also looked into a HELOC as well so you can keep your first mortgage ?

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied

This is one of those situation where the HELOC on your primary residence would be easier to get, especially while you have excellent credit scores. Going forward with the business, aim to never use your personal credit, but aim to use business credit. My experience was getting my personal credit utilization high as I bought product for my business, and subsequently my FICO went low; therefore financing was increasingly difficult. I had to learn about business credit after the fact, and retrench. I recommend you plan for this in advance. :D

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Amber Stout
  • Lender
  • Tampa/Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa/Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Jorge Garcia I am a lender working mainly with investors and am happy to run numbers for you on a cash out refinance.

Alternatively, you can do a HELOC. I have two local contacts that can do 100% LTV on a primary home and another contact that can do a HELOC for an investment property.

If interested in either or, send me a DM - happy to discuss both options and share my contacts with you so you can determine what's best for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hello Jorge,

Hope you are doing well. I agree with the other suggestions that perhaps a HELOC would serve you better. It offers more flexibility and you're only paying back what you use.

Another alternative would be a business line of credit. This would not be a lien against your home, rates are good for the first year and then increase. Let me know if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Connor Hibbs#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Votes |
Connor Hibbs#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Replied

Hi Jorge,

A HELOC may be your best option on this one as you won't find anything close to the 3.5% rate that you've got. Something to keep in mind as well would be if there are any prepayment penalties on the existing loan that you've got as that would cut even further into the funds you'd be looking to take out. If you'd like to explore options, I'd be happy to help, but HELOC seems to be the best route for you here.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Wain
Lender
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Lender
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

HELOC!

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied

No way I would refinance off at 3.5% loan...... not going to get anywhere close to that... do a HELOC or another LOC.

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied

HELOC or HELOAN. Both second position so they won't mess with your current rate. HELOC is a variable rate line of credit (so you only make payments on what you have drawn), HELOAN is a fixed rate lump sum loan (similar to your first mortgage). You won't find lower than a 3.5% on a cash out refinance right now. 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo