Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Estes
Pro Member
Votes |
Best/Most reliable STR data source?

Brian Estes
Pro Member
Posted Jan 24 2024, 19:10

I've been using the free AirDNA data/reports and find it to be unreliable. Especially since the projections for 2024 are based on historicals from 2023 and 2022, where the STR market saw declines. If 2024 is set to continue a similar trend of decreased STR rentals and revenues, what is the best data source to use? I even find that "actual rent rolls" from sellers do not paint an accurate picture of future expected revenue. Does anyone find AirDNA to be a trustworthy source of accurate date they can rely on for forward-looking deal analyses, or how about Airbtics? I also came across a service called BNBCalc that looks promising (they pull their data from Airbtics it appears), but first wanted to ask you all.

Thanks!

Brian  

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 25 2024, 01:58

AirDNA is very useful as one of your sources but their can't be used exclusively because there are gaps in their data.

We consolidate data from multiple sources when setting our STR nightly rates and when evaluating deals to buy an STR property:

1. AirDNA - we always buy the neighborhood data and comb through every single page of aggregated data.

2. We spend a lot of time looking up properties in VRBO and AirBNB to see what other hosts are actually offering.

3. Check facebook to see if there is a local STR operator group - those often have active conversations about the area.

4. Talk to realtors and local property managers, many are generous with the data that they have, you would be surprised at what they can give you.

User Stats

Votes
David Sandvig
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2024, 14:06

I like using AirDNA as a starting point.  Then if the numbers look good there, then I'll decide if it's worth it to pull actual comps from Price Labs.  I also like to just look at AirBNB and see if actual listings seem to be booked and roughly match what AirDNA says.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Estes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 25 2024, 16:04
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

AirDNA is very useful as one of your sources but their can't be used exclusively because there are gaps in their data.

We consolidate data from multiple sources when setting our STR nightly rates and when evaluating deals to buy an STR property:

1. AirDNA - we always buy the neighborhood data and comb through every single page of aggregated data.

2. We spend a lot of time looking up properties in VRBO and AirBNB to see what other hosts are actually offering.

3. Check facebook to see if there is a local STR operator group - those often have active conversations about the area.

4. Talk to realtors and local property managers, many are generous with the data that they have, you would be surprised at what they can give you.

Thank you, @Glen, very helpful! With respect to #1, do you need to be subscribed to the Basic Plan before you're able to purchase market data a la carte? If not, do you know the link to get to that section of Air DNA? I'm having difficulty locating it directly. 

Thanks for #s 2, 3, and 4 as well. Much appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Estes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 25 2024, 16:50
Quote from @David Sandvig:

I like using AirDNA as a starting point.  Then if the numbers look good there, then I'll decide if it's worth it to pull actual comps from Price Labs.  I also like to just look at AirBNB and see if actual listings seem to be booked and roughly match what AirDNA says.

Thank you, David. Very helpful and I'll take a look at Price Labs. I just wish there was a way to pay for market data a la carte vs. needing to commit to the annual subscription. Please let me know if you know of a way. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 26 2024, 04:58
Quote from @Brian Estes:
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

Thank you, @Glen, very helpful! With respect to #1, do you need to be subscribed to the Basic Plan before you're able to purchase market data a la carte? If not, do you know the link to get to that section of Air DNA? I'm having difficulty locating it directly. 

I just looked, i am on a legacy plan that has different access for $12/month.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Estes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 26 2024, 05:52
Quote from @Glen Wiley:
Quote from @Brian Estes:
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

I just looked, i am on a legacy plan that has different access for $12/month.
Ok thanks, I’ll check it out. I also finally figured out how to navigate Price Labs, so I’m getting closer haha. I’ll take a look at the ADNA plans today. Thanks, Glen. 

User Stats

Votes
John Mausteller
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Outer Banks, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Outer Banks, NC
Replied Jan 26 2024, 06:09

Echoing what others have said.   I use AirDNA - (subscribed) as a starting point - but looking at listings on Airbnb and VRBO lets you get an idea of what others are charging in the area.   AirDNA is using historical data - and yes revenue has gone down but any source that is projecting 2024 at lower revenue is just an educated guess (even if they may be spot on) 

Multiple sources - and a little trial and error :) 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Estes
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 26 2024, 07:01
Quote from @John Mausteller:

Echoing what others have said.   I use AirDNA - (subscribed) as a starting point - but looking at listings on Airbnb and VRBO lets you get an idea of what others are charging in the area.   AirDNA is using historical data - and yes revenue has gone down but any source that is projecting 2024 at lower revenue is just an educated guess (even if they may be spot on) 

Multiple sources - and a little trial and error :) 

Thank you, John. Much appreciated.