Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Welty
Votes |
Best use of funds for investing in real estate

Ryan Welty
Posted

Hi all,

Just want to hear some ideas. I have a good amount of money from a trust and was wondering what your thoughts were on what should be done with it. Is it smart to buy another home in todays market or invest elsewhere? 

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Welty:

Hi all,

Just want to hear some ideas. I have a good amount of money from a trust and was wondering what your thoughts were on what should be done with it. Is it smart to buy another home in todays market or invest elsewhere? 

Educate, educate, educate. Also go to a REIA near you and start talking to folks there. There are so many options from investing on your own, to investing passively with others. Just take some time and figure out what you want to try. If you have enough money you can make that capital stretch a long ways. Or you can lend it out and get some nice returns on your investment.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Lizana
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

I would suggest buying modest rental property. These are getting great rents, and do NOT sit on the market. There is a real demand for rents of $1500 and under. 

Let me know if I can help in any way!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied
I think it's always smart to buy a [good] home. Real estate is historically very profitable. Now what kind of home or investment property you buy, that's another story. There are a million options. Are you wanting to be more passive with anything you buy, do you want to put work into something... what are your general interest levels for investing and what would you like to accomplish with it?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Oh
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Get familiar with whichever market you plan on investing in. Connect with property managers and agents in that market. And reach out to lender to see what you can afford before you start. As for investing in something else, the question is in what? I like to diversify, but the biggest portion of my portfolio is in real estate. It's a slow, steady, and relatively predictable income stream. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Murrell
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

I would say it depends on your long term goals. If you are looking to have a steady flow of income, with some intensive research and understanding, you could find cash flowing rentals in almost every market. If you are looking to make more larger sums of money, you could invest with a flipping strategy. Combining them both, could have a healthy BRRRR investment plan.

No-one has a crystal ball on what the market is going to do. From what I see, there are still great opportunities to purchase property, especially here in Las Vegas. There's a proverb that reads "“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” 

Goodluck! Let me know if you need anything.