Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
First-Time Home Buyer
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Arron Paulino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • South San Francisco, CA
Votes |
First Time Homebuyer in the Bay Area

Arron Paulino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • South San Francisco, CA
Posted

I am thinking about moving into a new home in the Bay Area and just got pre-approved for up to $800k conventional financing not FHA due to me owning rentals. I will probably only be budgeting to use up to $600k to be safe, which I know will be tight depending on what location is selected. I will be moving from the peninsula area of the bay to somewhere in the East Bay to a more affordable area (Possibly Hayward area or as far east around Antioch). The type of home that we've looked into is a condo (I am not a fan of HOA dues), apartment, new construction (ideal, but will this have equity in it later on?), or single-family home (open to finding one that needs to be rehabbed to build sweat equity). What should I be looking for? We've got stable W2's and good credit.

I do own OOS rentals that I acquired over the past few years. I am planning to liquidate a couple to put into the down payment. It is possible with finding a SFR I'd stay a few years and consider either keeping it as a rental or selling it and moving into another home.

What should I do in my scenario with the information given here? Thanks!