Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Canadian Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Getting Pre-approved for a Mortgage in Ontario (Toronto)

Posted

Hey, hey!

Your help is appreciated here folks.

So, I am looking at 3 properties that I've ran the numbers on and look like they will work well for the BRRRR method.

With that said, I would like to place offers and see which ones bite - to make the deal smoother for the seller, I'd like to get pre-approved for a mortgage. 

With that said, I've begun discussions with a Mortgage agent at TD bank (I'm based in Toronto) and given that I run my own tech company, I fall under the "self-employed" category and as any business owner knows, if you can keep money in the company there are great tax benefits. On the flip side, my salary is low because I have kept a lot of the profits in the company. This is causing some issues with getting pre-approved for a mortgage and the agent mentioned that I will need a co-sign with a strong salary and that they will also HAVE TO be on title. 

I'd rather NOT get a co-sign because I'd like to manage my own risk completely, at least at this stage as I am buying my first investment property. 

Are there any tricks, tips, or ways to get pre-approved with a low income as a self-employed business owner?

P.S. if there are any local mortgage brokers here (from Toronto, or Ontario) that are interested in working with me, please DM. 

I will continue reaching out to other banks, however, I want to approach them in a way that will make it easier for them, so your help is much appreciated here!

Thanks so much!

With much gratitude.

Loading replies...