Advice on temporary security cameras during rent-ready repairs on long-term rentals

Advice on temporary security cameras during rent-ready repairs on long-term rentals

Nadine WallacePro Member
Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Does anyone have any advice on effectively setting up temporary battery-operated cameras on a long-term rental property to deter break-ins and squatters while rent-ready repairs are being made before a tenant moves in? We have had two homes broken into and materials stolen recently. We are out of state and have local property managers. We want to set up something short-term with or without wifi. We have heard of using a hotspot or burner phone situation for wifi, but we are not sure how this works. We welcome any suggestions.

1Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Nadine Wallace:

Thank you for the advice! It's extremely helpful. From what I can tell with all the research I've done I need to set up the app on my phone (to see the video) while in close proximity to the camera to connect. Maybe I'm wrong but I had to do that on our STR (Ring) and Wyze also requires close proximity on initial setup. Still trying to figure that out.

The break-ins happened on 2 separate SFH that are not located near each other. They were not initially considered high crime areas. With one property, a hotel that doubled as a homeless shelter one neighborhood over shut down and has caused problems for the surrounding areas. The other is unrelated and we suspect is tied to the tenant (who was with us for 3 years) that did not renew their lease and moved (we cannot prove this).


Again, many thanks! 


You can view Blink cameras from anywhere. I routinely monitor my STR 600 miles away from me. I can see when they're cleaning the pool, cutting the grass, servicing the HVAC unit outside, etc. All they need is a connection to WiFi. If you don't/won't have WiFi then you should either consider a SimpliSafe system that you can move around from house to house, or some type of Trail cameras like hunters use for identifying game areas. Those work well and you can also get them that work off a cell phone provider; I used to have one that was US Cellular enabled.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    You can connect cameras like "Blink" to a hotspot or Wifi system. Cameras are motion-activated, can give you alerts, you can record the video and access it from anywhere, etc. You can buy a set of five for under $300, subscription for the recording software is $10 a month, then the cost of WiFi or hotspot.

    If you've already had a couple break-ins, you are obviously in a high-crime area. Why doesn't your PM have answers for you?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
    1y

    I've paid the neighbors to log into their wifi before as well. It was a way to avoid setting up my own wifi 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    You can do simplisafe with/without Wi-Fi, but you will need cellular service. There is a ring camera system that has a job site security package as well some of my investors use for their projects do not have internet it works off cellular connection. 

    Not affiliated with either company**

    The McKernan Group4.954 Reviews
  • Nadine WallacePro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Thank you for the advice! It's extremely helpful. From what I can tell with all the research I've done I need to set up the app on my phone (to see the video) while in close proximity to the camera to connect. Maybe I'm wrong but I had to do that on our STR (Ring) and Wyze also requires close proximity on initial setup. Still trying to figure that out.

    The break-ins happened on 2 separate SFH that are not located near each other. They were not initially considered high crime areas. With one property, a hotel that doubled as a homeless shelter one neighborhood over shut down and has caused problems for the surrounding areas. The other is unrelated and we suspect is tied to the tenant (who was with us for 3 years) that did not renew their lease and moved (we cannot prove this).


    Again, many thanks! 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Nadine Wallace:

    Thank you for the advice! It's extremely helpful. From what I can tell with all the research I've done I need to set up the app on my phone (to see the video) while in close proximity to the camera to connect. Maybe I'm wrong but I had to do that on our STR (Ring) and Wyze also requires close proximity on initial setup. Still trying to figure that out.

    The break-ins happened on 2 separate SFH that are not located near each other. They were not initially considered high crime areas. With one property, a hotel that doubled as a homeless shelter one neighborhood over shut down and has caused problems for the surrounding areas. The other is unrelated and we suspect is tied to the tenant (who was with us for 3 years) that did not renew their lease and moved (we cannot prove this).


    Again, many thanks! 


    You can view Blink cameras from anywhere. I routinely monitor my STR 600 miles away from me. I can see when they're cleaning the pool, cutting the grass, servicing the HVAC unit outside, etc. All they need is a connection to WiFi. If you don't/won't have WiFi then you should either consider a SimpliSafe system that you can move around from house to house, or some type of Trail cameras like hunters use for identifying game areas. Those work well and you can also get them that work off a cell phone provider; I used to have one that was US Cellular enabled.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    1y

    You can purchase a cheap camera with a built in cellular connection: Cheap 4G Camera All this needs is a SIM card. Visible is part of Verizon and has unlimited data for $20/mo. 

    Keep in mind all you'd have from this is a video of yourself getting robbed. The video is unlikely to solve or deter any crimes. It would also have to be put up and taken down between each tenant and I don't know how responsive your PM will be to this extra work. 

    To deter the break-ins you need to have window coverings on all the windows, a light on and not advertise that the unit is vacant. Especially in the winter in heated apartments if they can see a warm place to sleep they are going inside. The rare instances they are caught there is no consequence. Verify your PM isn't using the full property address in their listings. You also might consider a 1031 exchange to a better neighborhood.

  • Nadine WallacePro Member
    OP
    Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    That is the plan. We bought a portfolio of 27 properties. They have increased in value, and our rents have increased by more than 45% overall. Based on our 1031 and commercial loan, we are trying to figure out how to separate out some of the duds. We want to offload some that are dragging us down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.