Contractor Quote Dispute & How I am Handling It

Contractor Quote Dispute & How I am Handling It

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

So I have a 4 unit that is under agreement to sell and the inspection report came back with some electrical issues that needed to be addressed. Electrical contractor quotes me $5k but noted he could do it on T&M at a reduced rate. I let them know, yes proceed on T&M not to exceed the original number and do not do any work above that number.

Week later contractor finds an issue and says "hey, we have another issue and we can take care of it for $500, As it stands I believe I am going to come in under my estimated total." - So we authorize the work.

Contractor submits the quote yesterday for $8k and is threatening me about it. 

We see this often. Here is how I handled it:

1. I let them know (in writing) that was not per our agreement and I am disputing the amount. (note they come back and reduced $1k off of it and threatened me again).

2. I take the invoice and I pay them the amount of the original quote. This is sometimes where people make a mistake, if you owe someone money I pay them what I believe they are owed. It is in spirit of settlement but also I agreed up to a price - so I paid that price. 

This leaves a smaller balance disputed but if you do not pay them anything until its resolved, it could lead to issues if it goes to court.

3. I am staying steadfast on my response and not backing down (I spent 25 years as a GC/developer fighting with contractors) and have seen this thousands of times. 


How would have you handled it?

7e investments53 Reviews
4Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

I would have handled it pretty much exactly as you did, Chris. As a custom builder for decades, I dealt with this way more than once, especially with new subs that had not worked for me before.

Back in the old days we used to just go with a verbal ok, but in the last 20 years or so, it is imperative to have a written CO (even an email sent from the jobsite) from the Sub and then I would add 20-25% and submit a CO of my own to the customer. In this case you are the customer so it's even easier.

Knowing you, I'm sure that you got everything above in writing, so you will be fine. They have nothing to stand on at all. Maybe if you really like these guys and their work...and feel that they honestly got in over their heads, you could throw them an extra $500 just to appear 'nice'. But I'm confused/curious as to why this Electrical Contr is so willing to burn bridges over couple of grand, is he just stupid? Or maybe really new/young?


In Oregon these days if you do not get change orders in writing they are not enforceable and the CCB will go after the sub hard.. ITs a fine line though some of these guys will lien the property even if they are not right and it buggers your title until it gets resolved.. And of course they have no money so going after them is like going after a dead beat tenant.. Best way to get to them at least here on Orygun is through the CCB and threats to their license.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    I would have handled it pretty much exactly as you did, Chris. As a custom builder for decades, I dealt with this way more than once, especially with new subs that had not worked for me before.

    Back in the old days we used to just go with a verbal ok, but in the last 20 years or so, it is imperative to have a written CO (even an email sent from the jobsite) from the Sub and then I would add 20-25% and submit a CO of my own to the customer. In this case you are the customer so it's even easier.

    Knowing you, I'm sure that you got everything above in writing, so you will be fine. They have nothing to stand on at all. Maybe if you really like these guys and their work...and feel that they honestly got in over their heads, you could throw them an extra $500 just to appear 'nice'. But I'm confused/curious as to why this Electrical Contr is so willing to burn bridges over couple of grand, is he just stupid? Or maybe really new/young?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I would have handled it pretty much exactly as you did, Chris. As a custom builder for decades, I dealt with this way more than once, especially with new subs that had not worked for me before.

    Back in the old days we used to just go with a verbal ok, but in the last 20 years or so, it is imperative to have a written CO (even an email sent from the jobsite) from the Sub and then I would add 20-25% and submit a CO of my own to the customer. In this case you are the customer so it's even easier.

    Knowing you, I'm sure that you got everything above in writing, so you will be fine. They have nothing to stand on at all. Maybe if you really like these guys and their work...and feel that they honestly got in over their heads, you could throw them an extra $500 just to appear 'nice'. But I'm confused/curious as to why this Electrical Contr is so willing to burn bridges over couple of grand, is he just stupid? Or maybe really new/young?


    In Oregon these days if you do not get change orders in writing they are not enforceable and the CCB will go after the sub hard.. ITs a fine line though some of these guys will lien the property even if they are not right and it buggers your title until it gets resolved.. And of course they have no money so going after them is like going after a dead beat tenant.. Best way to get to them at least here on Orygun is through the CCB and threats to their license.
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I would have handled it pretty much exactly as you did, Chris. As a custom builder for decades, I dealt with this way more than once, especially with new subs that had not worked for me before.

    Back in the old days we used to just go with a verbal ok, but in the last 20 years or so, it is imperative to have a written CO (even an email sent from the jobsite) from the Sub and then I would add 20-25% and submit a CO of my own to the customer. In this case you are the customer so it's even easier.

    Knowing you, I'm sure that you got everything above in writing, so you will be fine. They have nothing to stand on at all. Maybe if you really like these guys and their work...and feel that they honestly got in over their heads, you could throw them an extra $500 just to appear 'nice'. But I'm confused/curious as to why this Electrical Contr is so willing to burn bridges over couple of grand, is he just stupid? Or maybe really new/young?

    Yeah they will spend thousands of dollars to fight $1000 claim. Most people do not realize when someone liens a property its just a lien, but to collect on it they must file a lawsuit to collect that money which will cost them 5x more than what its worth. 

    I will have title bond over the lien if its filed (which 90% of liens are filed incorrectly anyways). 

    What we typically see is a contractor trying to act as a bully as most homeowners are push overs. In this instance, I would enjoy the dispute and clearly will not be backing down.


    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I would have handled it pretty much exactly as you did, Chris. As a custom builder for decades, I dealt with this way more than once, especially with new subs that had not worked for me before.

    Back in the old days we used to just go with a verbal ok, but in the last 20 years or so, it is imperative to have a written CO (even an email sent from the jobsite) from the Sub and then I would add 20-25% and submit a CO of my own to the customer. In this case you are the customer so it's even easier.

    Knowing you, I'm sure that you got everything above in writing, so you will be fine. They have nothing to stand on at all. Maybe if you really like these guys and their work...and feel that they honestly got in over their heads, you could throw them an extra $500 just to appear 'nice'. But I'm confused/curious as to why this Electrical Contr is so willing to burn bridges over couple of grand, is he just stupid? Or maybe really new/young?

    Yeah they will spend thousands of dollars to fight $1000 claim. Most people do not realize when someone liens a property its just a lien, but to collect on it they must file a lawsuit to collect that money which will cost them 5x more than what its worth. 

    I will have title bond over the lien if its filed (which 90% of liens are filed incorrectly anyways). 

    What we typically see is a contractor trying to act as a bully as most homeowners are push overs. In this instance, I would enjoy the dispute and clearly will not be backing down.



    I have never got title to bond over a lien.. personally.. Even being a premier client of title company IE 20 mil plus of bizz a year ..
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    Curious how this ends up, Chris.....would you keep us apprised of how this goes down? I think it would be a good lesson for all, especially newbies....!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.