Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Randall
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
HELP - Insurance requiring Fire Alarm?

Ryan Randall
  • Nashua, NH
Posted

My old insurance just dropped me. Said that our property rebuild costs exceeded their maximum. 

Now, while searching for new insurance through a broker, I'm being told that my building now requires a "Central Station Fire Alarm that reports to a Central Reporting Station".

Is this new requirement normal? Should I try and find another insurance broker? It's wild to me that this is suddenly a requirement.

I own a 4-unit residential property in the seacoast of NH. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Ryan Randall  Looks like it might be.

New Hampshire Revised Statutes Section 153:10-a (2022) - Automatic Fire Warning Devices and Carbon Monoxide Detection Devices in Dwellings. :: 2022 New Hampshire Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Randall:

My old insurance just dropped me. Said that our property rebuild costs exceeded their maximum. 

Now, while searching for new insurance through a broker, I'm being told that my building now requires a "Central Station Fire Alarm that reports to a Central Reporting Station".

Is this new requirement normal? Should I try and find another insurance broker? It's wild to me that this is suddenly a requirement.

I own a 4-unit residential property in the seacoast of NH. 

I would try another broker. I assume you have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in the property. Tying to a central station for a 4 unit property I have never heard of.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey Ryan - I just went through this with my property in Rollinsford. Very old, so to rebuild with exact materials exceeded the maximum on the original residential policy I had in place with Andover after their inspection. Because of other liabilities (pool, more than 2 units, etc) it was brutal to find something. I did end up getting offers for a surplus lines residential policy, and then landed on a business owner policy through Vermont Mutual. I’m happy to connect you to brokers who sorted it out, 2 agencies I trust, just let me know. 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

@Ryan Randall I work with Hunkins and Eaton either Teresa or Jennie and have business owners policies through Vermont Mutual on most of my buildings.

The ladies assure me Vermont Mutual has the best, most affordable policies.

I have not had a problem and they are not requiring Central Monitoring on any of my policies from 1-8 units.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Randall
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
  • Nashua, NH
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Coburn:

Hey Ryan - I just went through this with my property in Rollinsford. Very old, so to rebuild with exact materials exceeded the maximum on the original residential policy I had in place with Andover after their inspection. Because of other liabilities (pool, more than 2 units, etc) it was brutal to find something. I did end up getting offers for a surplus lines residential policy, and then landed on a business owner policy through Vermont Mutual. I’m happy to connect you to brokers who sorted it out, 2 agencies I trust, just let me know. 

That would be great. I'm just over in Dover

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Ryan Randall  talk to the fire marshall and get a copy from them of any local restrictions.  It looks like something was revised but not clear what it is. Centrally connected seems over the top. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Randall
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
  • Nashua, NH
Replied
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Ryan Randall  talk to the fire marshall and get a copy from them of any local restrictions.  It looks like something was revised but not clear what it is. Centrally connected seems over the top. 

Yeah, that's a good idea. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Patrick McCann
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New Hampshire
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Randall:
Quote from @Ryan Coburn:

That would be great. I'm just over in Dover

There’s a real estate investors meetup this Monday 8/12 6PM at Chapel and Main in Dover