Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alba Cheung
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
tenant has not paid for 4 months and this's what happening now.....

Alba Cheung
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted

I urgently need a landlord-friendly lawyer in Fulton County. I made the mistake of renting my single-family house in Alpharetta to a tenant with a credit score in the 500s in December 2023. I was hasty due to the higher mortgage rates, and it turned out to be a huge mistake. The tenant has not paid anything since April 2024, effectively staying in my property for free for four months. I hired Evictthemforme.com on April 5, and went to court with their referred attorney on June 17, 2024. The tenant was given a court order to move out within 7 days. However, on the 7th day, the tenant hired an attorney from the Atlanta Family Law and Immigration Center to appeal the court order. She claimed she wasn’t sure what she signed on the court day of June 17 and that she couldn’t find a place to move out within 7 days. Additionally, she stated she doesn’t want to pay either. Despite signing on the court day that she would move out in 7 days and waiving her right to appeal, she still appealed, preventing me from filing a writ of possession. She has stayed in my property for free for four months, and if she keeps appealing everytime when she's given a 7 days moving out order, she could potentially never pay rent or move out.

How can this happen? Can tenants actually appeal a 7-day move-out court order even after waiving their right to appeal? Has anyone had a similar experience? What’s going to happen next? Can anyone recommend an experienced landlord-tenant lawyer in the Atlanta area for me? Evicticthemforme.com helped a lot but their lawyer has many cases at the same time, I think I need my own attonry. I urgently need this tenant to move out ASAP, it's been 4 months already. Please help. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
James Mc Ree
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Malvern, PA
Votes |
  • Malvern, PA
Replied

Have you discussed this with your eviction attorney? That would be step 1 for me.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied

This is a legal question that your attorney should be answering, and if you don't feel your attorney can help you, find another one who can. Best wishes. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied

U have what we call in the wild a professional Tenant.. U will never get a dime of rent and you are going to have to probably do as you stated find your own attorney..

its better to leave property vacant than to rent to folks that have terrible credit. In almost all instances.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

Talk to your attorney.  They can't keep claiming they don't have time to find a place to stay as they've had time.  No matter who you hire, they are going to have other cases.  You could offer cash for keys to get her out-NEVER hand over any money until they are out and you have the keys and signed paperwork that they are out of the property.  Of course the tenant doesn't want to pay, she's got a free ride.

User Stats

Votes
Alba Cheung
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

i need some referrer for eviction lawyer in Fulton county. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Alba Cheung:

i need some referrer for eviction lawyer in Fulton county. 

I'm confused. You hired evictthemforme.com and they represented you correctly. Why can't you contact them and ask these questions? You hired them to evict the tenant, so they should continue representing you until the tenant is out.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matt Bishop
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

@Alba Cheung,your property manager should have already handled this and you should not be involved.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

What @Jay Hinrichs said - I always preach on here that it is far better to have your place sit empty than to have a bad, or even dubious tenant. It's not only the money you'll lose, it's the time you spend (I figure worth $100 hr) and the mental anguish and stress. Never worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Alba Cheung wow, you went the cheap route and hire cheap attorneys.

Now that they are useless, you want to ask us for free advice?

None of us can give you legal advice!

When will you learn - you get EXACTLY what you pay for?

User Stats

Votes
Alba Cheung
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied
Quote from @Michael Smythe:

@Alba Cheung wow, you went the cheap route and hire cheap attorneys.

Now that they are useless, you want to ask us for free advice?

None of us can give you legal advice!

When will you learn - you get EXACTLY what you pay for?

wow?!  who is so brave to hire you? and can you give legal advice?  you are not lawyer just A property management advice, I did not ask you anything!!  so zip up!  btw, i did not pay that much for sure, but i got what i want... without a mean management company. lol

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

@Alba Cheung It would be nice if you provided us with an update. This could be an opportunity to share what you've learned.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Alba Cheung I am going through same situation. My tenant is unresponsive and has not paid rent for this month. Rent was due by 5th but no communication on late payment and is not responding to my text/emails.

How was your experience with EvictThemForMe?

I am thinking to hire them to start the paperwork to send the ondemand notice atleast. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Alba Cheung if this attorney doesn't complete the eviction look at the dockets and see what attorneys commonly handle evictions in you area. Some places you can look up that info.