Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ariel Tobi
Pro Member
Votes |
Is it normal that PM gets 13% of all repairs and rehab?

Ariel Tobi
Pro Member
Posted Apr 12 2024, 11:23

It sounds weird that the PM's business is against the landlord's interest. They need you to spend money and you try to save... It's sleeping with the enemy part 2. Is this rights?

User Stats

Votes
Roel Van de Ven
Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Replied May 6 2024, 12:42

Hi Ariel, 

These type of markups and hidden fees are one of the reasons I got into property management. 

We keep it simple and transparent, 8% of month rent, $250 renewal fee when we renew the Lease for another year, and if we need to place a tenant we have 1 month leasing fee. 

Let me know if your interested in setting up a call

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 6 2024, 12:58
Quote from @Ariel Tobi:

It sounds weird that the PM's business is against the landlord's interest. They need you to spend money and you try to save... It's sleeping with the enemy part 2. Is this rights?

How about this, YOU go deal with the tenants, In Liberty City. YOU deal contractors and inspectors; YOU get the calls 24 hours a day. SO, if a job is 5500 VS 5K, So what, 100% irrelevant. Also, you will end up paying more anyway as you're a one a done client to the GC. Whereas the PM gives them 50 jobs a month .So many count pennies when there are dollars to be and will be lost if you go it on your own. 

All the best 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 6 2024, 12:59
Quote from @Roel Van de Ven:

Hi Ariel, 

These type of markups and hidden fees are one of the reasons I got into property management. 

We keep it simple and transparent, 8% of month rent, $250 renewal fee when we renew the Lease for another year, and if we need to place a tenant we have 1 month leasing fee. 

Let me know if your interested in setting up a call

This is ALL the norm, hes asking about mark up on repairs, 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied May 21 2024, 16:11

It is becoming more common in Florida. Property management companies work on a small margin, and the amount of time and overhead it takes to deal with maintenance pushes them to require a percentage of the maintenance. 

Having helped property management companies for nearly 20 years, I am seeing more of them require this fee for maintenance. Of course, the nicer the property, the less maintenance problems there are, but the where the home has a lot of maintenance problems, it will cost the landlord more to have the PM deal with those issues. 

If the company is professional, responsive, and competent, you may consider it worth the expense, especially if the home, in fact, has a lot of maintenance problems, as those types of rental properties are riskier to manage and own.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 22 2024, 04:36

@Roel Van de Ven since you're bragging about how "simple & transparent" (i.e. low) your charges are, curious as to:

1) What maintenance, repairs and renovations you fees actually cover

2) How you bill to owners?