• Investor
  • Texas
Votes |
need advice on lawn maintenance

Gabe N.
  • Investor
  • Texas
Posted Apr 4 2024, 06:41

I need some advice on the following situation.

I am sorry for asking such a basic question, but unfortunately, I am still new to this and never dealt with this type of scenario before.

I have a single family home that is part of an HOA.

My main goal is to protect the asset and avoid any potential financial loss as much as possible.

The current lease agreement states that the tenants are responsible for mowing the grass.

They are also responsible for paying any HOA fines, etc

Unfortunately after multiple attempts to get through to them to cut the grass, the grass was never cut and the yard is getting worst and worst.

They also refuse to turn on the sprinkler system which is causing the grass to slowly die. The lease agreement also states that they are responsible for any landscaping damage due to lack of watering or neglect. However since this is a very large yard their deposit will not cover the amount that would be required to bring the front and back yard to the same condition before they moved in. 

I understand that the best way for me to avoid this type of drama in the future would be for the landlord to handle all lawn maintenance and upkeep

What are my options?

1- Go the eviction route,

Send them a 7 day notice to cure and if they dont comply get someone to cut the grass and send them the bill If they dont pay then go the eviction route. Or send them multiple xx days to cure notices and if they dont comply then start the eviction process.

My concern here is that people can get pissed off and potentially damage the property when they are forced to move out.

2- a more passive approach to just suck it up and when its time to renew the lease then increase the rent by several hundreds of dollars so that they will leave on their own. (there is no restrictions on rent increases in TX)

any other idea on how to handle this type of situation?

Loading replies...