Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Pastor
Votes |
Windows Need Repairs

Jeremy Pastor
Posted

Hello, I just purchased a single-family home that is pretty close to rent-ready. A lot of the windows however, need some repairs as well as replacement screens installed.  Most of the windows that need repairs just don't slide like they are supposed to, the counter-weight system seems to be messed up in a lot of them. At least 12 windows also need replacement screens.

I would love any advice on the best way to go about getting these repaired/replaced the cheapest. I'm not a window guy, unfortunately.

Thanks!

-JP

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied
Aloha,

For the counterweight issue on double-hung windows, these are available, take seconds to install:
https://www.amazon.com/Ace-Window-Control-5-5-8/dp/B000H5R5D...

For screens, you can easily just replace the screen material and spline if tears are the issue; if the frames are bent or fit poorly, you can buy the frame material, corner connectors, screen and spline to easily and quickly create new ones:
https://www.amazon.com/window-screen-parts/s?k=window+screen...

You can youtube to learn HOW to be a "window guy"...as a LL, your alternative is to pay ridiculous prices for someone else to do it.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Scott Mac#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

If you have old fashioned windows you can fix them easily with new rope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7BjntkFsk

Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied
Quote from @Scott Mac:

If you have old fashioned windows you can fix them easily with new rope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7BjntkFsk

Good Luck!

For an average rental, the window controls I provided a link to are FAR faster (which also means cheaper), easier, and foolproof. Open the window. Place the control in the window track on one side or the other, as high as possible, sliding one wing up between the window and track, with window in open position. Close the window. Done...now when you open the window, the friction of the spring steel "butterfly" will hold it in place at any position. This takes about 15 seconds, and no trim or woodwork is damaged trying to take it apart to access the old ropes and weight.

User Stats

Votes
Cathy B.
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Replied
A lot of larger mom and pop hardware stores do screen replacement where can bring in the frames and they will re-screen either on the spot or within a few days.  Its pretty affordable, like $15-ish, depending on the size of the screen.  There also might be mobile screen repair people that can do this one site in your area . .  just check yelp or similar.
Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ali L.
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

@Jeremy Pastor Not cheap but Home Depot does replacement/repairs and has outstanding warranty