How much does eviction law vary across cities/counties/states?

How much does eviction law vary across cities/counties/states?

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes

I see this question pop up a lot on BP: "how do I evict a tenant in [city, state]?" I've had to evict a few tenants from properties I've owned in different states, but I always rely on property managers to contact the law firms and work with an attorney to handle the eviction. 

Of course, this is usually unnecessarily expensive. The attorney charge hundreds of dollars, if not well over a thousand dollars, to essentially follow a step-by-step guide for how to do an eviction. Send a notice, fill out specific paperwork, don't collect rent in the meantime, don't shut off utilities to retaliated against the tenant, etc.

I want to better understand:

1. How hard is it for a landlord to read and learn how to perform an eviction in their specific city/county/state?
2. How much does eviction law vary by city/county/state?
3. I assume most landlords' biggest fear when evicting a tenant is either losing the ruling (because they didn't follow the process correctly) or being sued themselves (because of adverse actions they took while trying to evict the tenant). But is it that hard to learn it yourself?

Is there anyone here who feels comfortable evicting tenants themselves without ever going through an attorney?

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
3y

@Kyle Soudalan

It's about $150 here in Pittsburgh, $300 if you go all the way to physically getting rid of the tenant, but then you also get the help of the local elected constable to legally handle the ejectment, which is not at all an inconsiderable matter.

In answer to your questions:

1. It's not hard at all here in Pittsburgh to learn the local eviction law and procedure. There's a ton of information out on the internet, mostly written to help tenants in trouble, but that doesn't mean it's not useful information for a landlord. That's how I learned most of what I know about local eviction law.

2. Eviction law doesn't really vary that much, but eviction PROCEDURES do, and you, as the landlord, will be expected to very, very carefully follow them. The judges here expect much more out of landlords when it comes to this than they do out of tenants. This is where the help of an experienced lawyer (and really, there are not many of them here) comes in handy.

3. I have neither of the fears you're bringing up. It's hard to lose an open-and-shut case with clear documentation, and I have never brought anything else to a magistrate. I've never been successfully sued by a tenant over an eviction and I don't worry that it will ever happen to me, unless I keep at this until I get dementia. Again, once I file the initial complaint, I make damned sure I follow the law to its very last letter.

I handle eviction cases by myself. If it's not clear enough to handle by myself, I don't take the tenant to court, pure and simple. I also think it's important to go to every single eviction case myself. I own multiple units in the same jurisdictions and the same local judges see my face again and again. Over time, they've come to expect what I always bring them, an open-and-shut case. I think that's an important part of doing business locally.

In your case, Kyle, you're operating at a significant disadvantage in this part of REI by not operating locally. Something the gurus don't ever seem to talk about in the long-distance passive-investment seminars.

To further address what @Nathan Gesner mentioned here: there really are some places where eviction procedures (not so much the law) changes all the time and is murky on purpose to give judges extreme leeway. You should not own long-distance rental property in places like that. They're usually dominated in terms of population by tenants and have both really, really high rents and property prices.

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    I see this question pop up a lot on BP: "how do I evict a tenant in [city, state]?" I've had to evict a few tenants from properties I've owned in different states, but I always rely on property managers to contact the law firms and work with an attorney to handle the eviction. 

    Of course, this is usually unnecessarily expensive. The attorney charge hundreds of dollars, if not well over a thousand dollars, to essentially follow a step-by-step guide for how to do an eviction. Send a notice, fill out specific paperwork, don't collect rent in the meantime, don't shut off utilities to retaliated against the tenant, etc.

    I want to better understand:

    1. How hard is it for a landlord to read and learn how to perform an eviction in their specific city/county/state?
    2. How much does eviction law vary by city/county/state?
    3. I assume most landlords' biggest fear when evicting a tenant is either losing the ruling (because they didn't follow the process correctly) or being sued themselves (because of adverse actions they took while trying to evict the tenant). But is it that hard to learn it yourself?

    Is there anyone here who feels comfortable evicting tenants themselves without ever going through an attorney?


     I use a PM so I haven't had to, but call your state's legislative secretary or hop on their website and search for Tenant Landlord Laws. Just read the law directly and that'll jump start your education, which will help you learn the questions to ask.

    Then, talk to a local PM and the people at the courthouse to get an idea for the process. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    There can be a huge difference State to State, or even regional...you need to learn about local requirements and processes. One way to do so is simply attend the local LL/Tenant Court venue...whether that is small claims, or District Court. See how it plays out for real.

    Another reason to learn local law is that, for example here, an individual Owner can represent themselves in District Court for LL/Tenant issues, but a PM must use an Attorney. The Tenant is not required to use an Attorney, but often goes to Legal Aid for rep. Also, it does make a difference WHO is named on the Rental Agreement. Apparently some states require the Owner name on the Agreement, even if a PM is "managing", so, not sure how those would need to be handled.

    You are correct the process can be simple and straightforward, easily repeatable as far as proper notices etc. You can typically hire at minimal cost a Process Server to deliver notices requiring hand delivery. Locally, we must provide specific notices, for at least 30 days, before we can turn over to Attorney to actually file an eviction with the courts. In fact, during covid, we were required to FIRST go to mediation before filing. Thankfully that did not become permanent...yet.
  • Real Estate Agent · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 63 votes
    3y

    I would imagine the price varies from state to state. It may also vary on how far you have to get into the eviction. Here in Little Rock for a standard eviction you will be looking at $600-800. If you get a tenant that decides to fight you the price will be higher. Sometimes you can get lucky and have an attorney post the eviction and they decide to vacate because its not worth fighting it. 

    You will also need to factor in the lock change, property removal and damage that will have to be taken care of which what can cost you some money. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    It is widely varied. I do evictions myself. It costs less than $150 and takes less than 30 days, start to finish. Most states are not that simple. Even mine isn't for the average Landlord because the county provides no guidance, no sample forms, etc. I figured it out with a lot of research and hard work.

    There are websites that cover each state: https://lawatlas.org/datasets/...

    Some states are so complicated that it's not worth the Landlord's time to learn the laws and then state current on them.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Kyle Soudalan

    It's about $150 here in Pittsburgh, $300 if you go all the way to physically getting rid of the tenant, but then you also get the help of the local elected constable to legally handle the ejectment, which is not at all an inconsiderable matter.

    In answer to your questions:

    1. It's not hard at all here in Pittsburgh to learn the local eviction law and procedure. There's a ton of information out on the internet, mostly written to help tenants in trouble, but that doesn't mean it's not useful information for a landlord. That's how I learned most of what I know about local eviction law.

    2. Eviction law doesn't really vary that much, but eviction PROCEDURES do, and you, as the landlord, will be expected to very, very carefully follow them. The judges here expect much more out of landlords when it comes to this than they do out of tenants. This is where the help of an experienced lawyer (and really, there are not many of them here) comes in handy.

    3. I have neither of the fears you're bringing up. It's hard to lose an open-and-shut case with clear documentation, and I have never brought anything else to a magistrate. I've never been successfully sued by a tenant over an eviction and I don't worry that it will ever happen to me, unless I keep at this until I get dementia. Again, once I file the initial complaint, I make damned sure I follow the law to its very last letter.

    I handle eviction cases by myself. If it's not clear enough to handle by myself, I don't take the tenant to court, pure and simple. I also think it's important to go to every single eviction case myself. I own multiple units in the same jurisdictions and the same local judges see my face again and again. Over time, they've come to expect what I always bring them, an open-and-shut case. I think that's an important part of doing business locally.

    In your case, Kyle, you're operating at a significant disadvantage in this part of REI by not operating locally. Something the gurus don't ever seem to talk about in the long-distance passive-investment seminars.

    To further address what @Nathan Gesner mentioned here: there really are some places where eviction procedures (not so much the law) changes all the time and is murky on purpose to give judges extreme leeway. You should not own long-distance rental property in places like that. They're usually dominated in terms of population by tenants and have both really, really high rents and property prices.

  • Alex HilemanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 224 posts · 147 votes
    3y

    Hi Kyle,

    You can absolutely file for eviction yourself and save a lot of money on attorney's fees. I was a Property Manager for 7 years and I filed the evictions myself if it was just a regular case of non-payment of rent. If I was evicting for any other type of lease violation, I hired an attorney. There are tenants out there who know how to work the system and drag out the eviction process for months. In that case, the attorney's fees are totally worth it. If the tenant is not paying rent and claiming that the apartment is "uninhabitable", they're going to drag it out.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Instead of trying to force a square peg in a round hole by thinking you can get your PMC to handle the eviction without an attorney, why don't you ask more questions to better understand what you are being charged for?

    Your PMC should also share with you all legal documents, including court filings - which often have costs spelled out.

    Then, you can determine if your PMC is overcharging you or if it's just the cost of doing business.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Michael Smythe How would I effectively look at the invoice from the attorney's office to determine if the attorney is charging high fees just because, versus how much it would cost me if I handled it myself? Does every county/city have some "fee structure" that breaks down the cost of all the filings and processes necessary to get an eviction done?

    @Alex Hileman After 7 years working as a property manager and filing evictions, did you find most of them to be fairly routine and something you could've automated to make the process much easier (and faster) for you?
    Regarding other types of lease violations, what was it exactly that made you feel it necessary to hire an attorney? Expertise they had that you didn't? Or you didn't want to deal with the headache of a combative tenant trying to drag the process out?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Jim K. For most of the evictions that you handled yourself, what percentage of them would you say were simple to file and ultimately evict the tenant without any issues? And did you have a system set up to quickly do the filing, or would you start from scratch each time (manually go through your ledger, gather supporting evidence for failure to pay, showing copies of notices you sent to pay, etc.)?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner ^Similar question for you. Would you say the vast majority of your evictions were quick and easy to do? And have you found a system over the years or you file them all manually as you go?

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Kyle Soudalan it's RARELY worth handling it yourself! 

    Have seen many judges railroad a landlord who didn't really know the system and then tell them to hire an attorney next time.

    Your PMC should be giving you the attorney invoices, check your contract to see if they are required to. NOTE: most PMC's will use attorneys that specialize in evictions that also charge reasonable fees because of the volume of cases they handle.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    @Jim K. For most of the evictions that you handled yourself, what percentage of them would you say were simple to file and ultimately evict the tenant without any issues? And did you have a system set up to quickly do the filing, or would you start from scratch each time (manually go through your ledger, gather supporting evidence for failure to pay, showing copies of notices you sent to pay, etc.)?

    Two of what looks to be partial misconceptions here:

    1. There is no such thing as a no-issue eviction. I have had people go without too much trouble, but no trouble at all? Then why file an eviction?

    2. You don't know what this looks like, and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff floating around in your head of what the process entails that you've heard about from other people. Only very rarely are you going to need late notices or failure-to-pay notes to show a judge. What you will need to start things off, here in PA, is to send a certified letter and (usually) post a notice on the door. When the tenant disregards the letter and notice, THAT'S when you file the landlord/tenant complaint here.

    3. I do each case manually. If I were filing evictions in numbers justifying automating part of the process -- in Pennsylvania, that's a recipe for disaster for a private landlord or a property manager. Eviction is your last resort, not the first tool you reach for in your toolbox. Sooner or later, if the same magistrates sees the same pattern of quick-to-evict over and over again from the same real estate professions, they come to the conclusion that the landlord/property manager needs to slow his roll. This may be different in different states. All part of the procedure.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Kyle Soudalan, you seem to be focused on establishing a "system" to perform evictions inexpensively. That is a no-win situation. Your focus SHOULD be on properly screening and managing Tenants in a manner that prevents the need to evict. I've been managing on average over 150 units a year for over the past 20 years and have only had to file two evictions on Tenants that I placed, and another 8 - 10 on inherited Tenants over that time. These are mostly C properties, with maybe 30% B, and a handful of A.

    It's not that difficult to determine what hourly rates Attorneys in a given area charge...most have a "rate sheet" that clarifies the different costs between the Attorney and assistants. Contact some that specialize in evictions, or RE in general, to see what the range is. Evictions always spell out the Court costs for "service", including mileage and other administrative costs.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    @Nathan Gesner ^Similar question for you. Would you say the vast majority of your evictions were quick and easy to do? And have you found a system over the years or you file them all manually as you go?


    1. I document everything well, so winning a case is very simple.

    2. Despite #1, there's always the chance of losing a case based on a simple typo. Yes, it happened to me once. Yes, it's ridiculous.

    3. There's no process, I just file as I go. When I first started, I probably evicted 20 people in the first few years. Now it's pretty rare. I went from 2014 - 2022 without a single eviction through court!!! Most people leave when I tell them to leave because they know they don't have a defense.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Richard F. I see what you're saying now. Regarding focusing on properly screening and managing tenants, what have you done over the years that has kept your eviction rate so low? Just the standard background checks, credit report, etc.? Or have you found a reliable strategy for sourcing better than average tenants?

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    There is no "standard" background check/credit report etc. There are a number of different apps and websites others have discussed on these forums that each provide their own aggregate of information. The amount and types of info varies. More importantly is how you interpret and USE that information. For example, some sites simply provide a "rental score" or some such number, which is completely abstract in relation to other possible sources. These are very different from what used to actually be pretty standard, a FICO score. Even this FICO score only relates to one element...their credit; you still need to conduct background and income verification and research.

    I review as much info as I can dig up and see if it all fits; or if there are unexplained gaps or omissions from their application; do former addresses (and names!) fit the info provided and mesh properly? What does the information reveal about their habits...Good or Bad? Typically, bad habits in one area will point to bad habits in other areas of their life. Court records can be relevant to determining how well rules are followed or what types of activities/people they spend time with. Multiple addresses often point to job hopping...which came first, and why? Financial bad habits of course warn you of potential future issues, depending on type, frequency, and how long ago. Collection items, especially recent consumer type, are a big red flag. Medical bills, foreclosures, not so much as long as they did not run up their credit cards at the same time, or since. google and other sites turn up interesting info at times, but you need to be sure it is your subject.

    Another factor that I am convinced improves my odds is the fact I am always very upfront with prospective Tenants, at showings, in response to emails/phone calls, and in person when we ALL sit down to review and sign the Rental Agreement. I make it clear from the beginning we have certain expectations of all residents. These might vary from one property to another, but overall are very consistent in terms of payments, due dates, communications, occupancy, house rules (if any), maintenance, Tenant responsibilities, and more. I am equally clear when there are "problems" with a property...parking issues, angry pit bull next door, close proximity to neighbors/noise issues, inadequate electrical service for multiple kitchen appliances, no trampolines allowed, etc. etc.

    I take the time to review, page by page, the Rental Agreement and all addenda. NOT word by word, but page by page, clarifying each paragraph that is important to me. Tenant responsibilities, payment due dates and allowable methods, late charges, the "joint and several" clause, adding/removing someone from the Agreement, yard maintenance expectations (which are also spelled out in the Agreement), vehicle requirements, etc. etc.

    By the time we reach the point of signing, they know full well we are operating a Business, and expect them to meet the terms of the Agreement they are signing. Anytime during this process they ask a question that could be a warning signal, I take the time to play out the scenario so they understand this is not my first rodeo. Once in a great while they will stop and change their mind mid-signing, but not often. I usually scare them off before that point if they are less than honest and sincere. In the end, sometimes they do reach a point where they need to get out early. I have earned their respect by being responsive to routine issues that arise, and fully informing them at the outset, so they ask what I can do. Easy, as long as they remove their personal property and rubbish, clean properly, and turn their keys in asap, I will pro-rate their rent to their last day of occupancy. This is far cheaper for our Owner than going to court and fighting to get them out, especially with local laws.

    By just sending out some multipage document for a digital signature, and providing access for showings via lockbox or someone with no skin in the game, the plain fact is NO ONE is reading the documents, much less getting any idea what is/is not important to you or how various issues would be addressed. Sure, you have a signature to show the Judge. Problem is, you have to show the Judge! Lots of time and money involved with that. Do I spend maybe an hour to hour and a half personally showing a prospect and processing their application? Yes, but that makes the next several years much easier than if I did not.

    When asked what my criteria is by a prospect, I reply with "approximately 2.5 times the rent for total household verifiable income, and we run a credit and background check to verify all information." If they ask "what credit score do you require?" I do not make decisions based on the score alone, I look at the total situation, and will advise them of that fact. If they are borderline, I will request specific additional documentation or option of co-signer which would also need to pass screening. I ALWAYS promptly send an Adverse Action Letter when I do deny someone, and I also NEVER allow for renegotiating, or providing more information or co-signers at that point. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Richard F.

    NOW this discussion is going where it needs to go. Thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · MS · Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 46 votes
    3y

     Tenant screening is very important and will eliminate most of your eviction issues. However, things happen and filing an eviction is necessary. Every jurisdiction is different and you must study the eviction process. Sometimes, you can get most of the eviction process by calling the county library law department. One law librarian was extremely helpful regarding eviction process, you will have to ask nicely.

    We just filed an eviction recently in Gulfport MS. First, we posted a 3 day eviction notice on the property. On the 4th day, we went to court and file for a court hearing, about $80. The date was about 30 days from the initial filing. The tenant did not show up to court, we won by default. The tenant has 7 more days to pay. On the 8th day, we had to file for "warrant of removal", $70 fee for the constable. A judge must sign the warrant of removal, about 1-2 days depending on which judge is available to sign the warrant of removal. Once signed, a constable and handyman shows up at the property to remove tenant and change the locks. The whole process was about 45 day, handyman/ locksmith and about $150 court fees. No lawyers was needed and we file about 1 eviction every 2 years.

    Eviction is an unnecessary evil and you should know the eviction process where you own real estate. We try to minimize expenses when possible.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Businesses should have a standard eviction process they follow, but the process should also have logical allowances for "life happens". 

    We tell everyone our eviction process is designed to be firm, but fair.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Alex HilemanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 224 posts · 147 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    @Michael Smythe How would I effectively look at the invoice from the attorney's office to determine if the attorney is charging high fees just because, versus how much it would cost me if I handled it myself? Does every county/city have some "fee structure" that breaks down the cost of all the filings and processes necessary to get an eviction done?

    @Alex Hileman After 7 years working as a property manager and filing evictions, did you find most of them to be fairly routine and something you could've automated to make the process much easier (and faster) for you?
    Regarding other types of lease violations, what was it exactly that made you feel it necessary to hire an attorney? Expertise they had that you didn't? Or you didn't want to deal with the headache of a combative tenant trying to drag the process out?

    About 95% of the evictions were standard non-payment. These cost about $200-$300 to file. Unfortunately it can't be done online, and needs to be mailed in or handed in to the courthouse in person. 

    The other 5% were tenants claiming the apartment was uninhabitable and/or they were being discriminated against, so they stop paying rent. This put the burden on the landlord to prove that the apartment was being maintained and that the tenant was not being targeted. In this case, I had to provide documentation of every reported maintenance request and how it was solved, invoices that I paid to outside contractors, past due notices I sent the tenant, and a detailed communication log to show the judge that we did everything possible to maintain the apartment and we are eviting the tenant solely because they are not paying rent.

    Another common one was noise disturbances. If we had an obnoxious tenant that was blasting music, smoking up the building, had a dog that was bothering the neighbors, etc., we had to provide extensive documentation. This includes documenting complaints from neighbors and police reports. Tenants make very emotional claims in court and try to get the judge to feel bad for them. Our attorney comes in with the facts and makes it clear to the judge that we are enforcing the lease and that the tenant is a nuisance to the community.

    Tenants also hired their own attorneys sometimes, or were appointment one. They would frequently ask to reschedule and delay the hearings. Our attorney could send a notice to stop the case from dragging out longer. I would absolutely recommend hiring an attorney if the tenant is dragging out the eviction hearings or if they have their own attorney.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Alex Hileman Thanks for sharing all those details.

    Regarding filing evictions needing to be mailed in or handed in to the courthouse in person, why do you think that can't be done online?

    I'd be curious to hear anyone else here chime into why filing evictions online isn't allowed? Let's ignore concerns about bad actors abusing the system or bots flooding courthouses with faulty, automated filings. Like most systems that were once traditional, in-person processes that moved to primarily online-based workflows (e.g. filing your taxes), there will always be some things to work through over time, so let's ignore that discussion for now.

    Idk how many real estate/eviction law attorneys visit and comment here on Bigger Pockets, but I'd be curious to hear anyone with ample experience with the law and/or evictions hypothesize on why that is the case.

  • Alex HilemanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 224 posts · 147 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Soudalan:

    @Alex Hileman Thanks for sharing all those details.

    Regarding filing evictions needing to be mailed in or handed in to the courthouse in person, why do you think that can't be done online?

    I'd be curious to hear anyone else here chime into why filing evictions online isn't allowed? Let's ignore concerns about bad actors abusing the system or bots flooding courthouses with faulty, automated filings. Like most systems that were once traditional, in-person processes that moved to primarily online-based workflows (e.g. filing your taxes), there will always be some things to work through over time, so let's ignore that discussion for now.

    Idk how many real estate/eviction law attorneys visit and comment here on Bigger Pockets, but I'd be curious to hear anyone with ample experience with the law and/or evictions hypothesize on why that is the case.


     The courts do not allow online payments yet, at least not in PA. Government agencies are very slow to change.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Kyle Soudalan as @Alex Hileman stated the government is extremely slow to change and very slow in general. Stop asking why 100%. Get the proper paperwork out as quickly as possible and make sure its filled out correctly and the amount of money to start the process is correct. if you send in $5 more or less they will not start the process. Sometimes they will not even let you know that the amount was wrong. it will sit on someone's desk and collect dust. We manage 800 units in Pittsburgh and I could share a lot of stories with you. I stopped asking why and I just make sure we get the process started as quickly as possible and pray that the tenant doesn't appeal the judgement. If that happens the process will start all over again at the county courthouse and cost you more rent and attorney fees.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alex Deacon:

    @Kyle Soudalan as @Alex Hileman stated the government is extremely slow to change and very slow in general. Stop asking why 100%. Get the proper paperwork out as quickly as possible and make sure its filled out correctly and the amount of money to start the process is correct. if you send in $5 more or less they will not start the process. Sometimes they will not even let you know that the amount was wrong. it will sit on someone's desk and collect dust. We manage 800 units in Pittsburgh and I could share a lot of stories with you. I stopped asking why and I just make sure we get the process started as quickly as possible and pray that the tenant doesn't appeal the judgement. If that happens the process will start all over again at the county courthouse and cost you more rent and attorney fees.

    @Kyle Soudalan and @Alex Hujdus

    I thoroughly agree with Alex about the futility about asking WHY things are they way they are here. That way lies madness and despair. The best I can come up with is that it's a combination of factors. First and foremost, it's money and local jobs. If you could file this stuff online the clerks have less to do, and that means the local judges will all have to have smaller staffs. That can't be allowed. Secondly, it's inertia. This is the way it's been done and if it was good enough in the past, well, it's good enough now. Thirdly, it's classic Pittsburgh insularity. "Well, if they can't be bothered to come down here and do it, they can't look the clerks in the eye, they're not invested in the local community, they shouldn't be landlords or property managers here in Pittsburgh!" Fourthly, Pittsburgh is at heart the oldest of mill towns, and has voted the same way for decades. There's little love to spare for landlords and what would make our lives easier, and a lot of basic sympathy for renters and tenants, often seen as wrongfully downtrodden and disenfranchised. No local politico is going to win any votes by proudly standing on their record of making evictions go faster. Lastly, it's old people and change. You will notice that there are very few spring chickens working in any DMJ office. Yes, being able to file forms online would greatly enhance the system's utility for landlords and property managers. But it's something a local government worker would have to learn, and almost all of them would prefer not to bother.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.