Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Mack Lev
  • Missouri City, TX
Votes |
Cons of getting denied for a HELOC?

Mack Lev
  • Missouri City, TX
Posted Mar 30 2016, 14:49

Alright, so I have a rental property owned free and clear, and I want to use a HELOC (preferrably from a credit union [PenFed to be exact]) in that property to go out and fund other RE deals. The problem working against me is that Im only 21, so my credit history is barely short of 4 years.

I have a good track record and everything. Payments on time, credit utilization rate at 31% (could be better), nothing has gone to a debt collection agency, etc.. I know the history of my credit is a huge factor working against me in getting approved so i wanted to know what were the cons of being denied.

I know I would probably have to wait 2-4 months before asking again, but are there any other negative implications that come with being denied. Because getting denied and having to wait to ask again is horrible enough as it is, but if it comes with anything else then .... wow.

Also, does getting denied show up on your credit report? I guess thats one of the things I need to find out along with anything else.

And I know that another solution would be to have somebody that trusts me and is more establish to cosign the HELOC with me, but thats kinda major to ask of someone. Even with a good relationship. And if i were to have someone more qualified than me to cosign it could they be removed giving them peace of mind?

Thanks in advance BP community

-Mack

Loading replies...