How often/much do you send a letter to 1 particular lead

How often/much do you send a letter to 1 particular lead

Real Estate Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 18 votes

I just sent out my first batch of letters today =D I was listening to Show: 71 and noticed that Philip touches base about 5 times in 5 months.

So how often and for how long do you continue to send out a letter to any one lead?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Sit down with pen, paper and a calendar. You are going to create a direct mail campaign.

Put yourself in the place of the recipient. How many times would you need to be contacted before you believe I was intent on doing business with you?

Would you likely to open my letter if the first one was annoying?

Did you benefit by reading my first letter and be willing to read another?

If you got another letter me soon after the first, would you prefer it to have a different message? Solve a different problem?

Pick a theme for each letter and decide the frequency now. Then create the sequence and test the campaign long enough to measure the results before you try changing anything. This is now your control letter campaign.

I like to offer some way to be helpful rather than trying to push selling. It's only worked well for 35 years, but I guess I'll just have to be patient and give it a chance.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Bump

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    12y

    Hey @Steve Londeau , any help with this?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Following. I don't do this as a business strategy, but I have two particular properties that I really want to buy. The owner recently passed away. I had been writing to him about once a year, and I sent his daughter a note after her father died. I don't want to be rude, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity.

  • Investor · Northridge, CA · Member since 2012 · 249 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Every 3 months - usually I switch up the marketing (from letter to postacard, vice versa)

  • Iowa City, IA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    I've heard anywhere between 3 weeks and 3 months. I guess some of it would depend on your marketing budget/strategy. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    It depends on the list and market conditions. 

    However 60 days seems to be too far out where 14 days seems to close except for TS or Mortgage Lates. Personally I am mailing 30 days apart t my equity lists. 

    Even Probate list would have a timeline different than an equity seller.

    The key is frequence of your message and also to mix in various types of direct mail pieces.

    Also remember that direct mail does not create motivation. So timing is everything.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    @Michael Quarles hey thanks! I guess this is something I will have to develop on my own then. I think I'm going to start out with once a month. What type of post cards do you use?

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Sit down with pen, paper and a calendar. You are going to create a direct mail campaign.

    Put yourself in the place of the recipient. How many times would you need to be contacted before you believe I was intent on doing business with you?

    Would you likely to open my letter if the first one was annoying?

    Did you benefit by reading my first letter and be willing to read another?

    If you got another letter me soon after the first, would you prefer it to have a different message? Solve a different problem?

    Pick a theme for each letter and decide the frequency now. Then create the sequence and test the campaign long enough to measure the results before you try changing anything. This is now your control letter campaign.

    I like to offer some way to be helpful rather than trying to push selling. It's only worked well for 35 years, but I guess I'll just have to be patient and give it a chance.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Rick H. 

    You always have a spot on perspective. Your point of "Put yourself in the place of the recipient. How many times would you need to be contacted before you believe I was intent on doing business with you?" and "Would you likely to open my letter if the first one was annoying?" is the reason I like mixing in different types of mail pieces. 

    Besides annoying, multiple mail piece types allow for the conveying of our message to different minded people. Some will never respond to a childish looking yellow letter, although a great producer, and would prefer a typed professional letter. Same with PCs and ZipLetters.

    Then there is the idea of marketing for market share. If I send an owner 3 uniquely different pieces and someone else send the same piece to the seller repetitive times the seller may believe that they are dealing with 4 possible options where in the reality they're are only dealing with 2. 

    The only time this doesn't play as well is when there is a brand involved. If someone has a TOM brand then the brand marketing is far more important. I still believe in this instance that various pieces is better. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    @Rick H.

    Thank you for your input, very wise advise to put your self in the seller's shoes. I think @Michael Quarles has a good point about unique pieces. But, say I am to send them a follow up post card, how would I ensure they would remember me or make the same connection? Could I possibly have a similar lay out to the post card as the business card I included in the first letter? What are your thoughts on this Rick?

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Best advice I can offer you is to find some product or service that you have responded to in another industry and reverse engineer their campaign, promotion and the offer. What stood out?

    How did they first make contact with you? Mail piece? Did you save it? Anything clever about it? Was the product or service something you were already considering purchasing or did it solve a particular problem that you were experiencing or were concerned about?

    Anything particularly clever? Any ideas that you could ethically swipe?

    How did you respond? Phone? Fax? Detachable postcard? Online (to a landing page)? PURL?

    Remember to swipe ethically, and only from non-related, non-competing industries.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 743 votes
    12y

    @Kate Horrell  There's 2 particular properties that you really wanted to buy and I hear your motivation. You've been sending letters/postcards to homeowner who recently passed once a year. Why not every 30-35 days?? No your not being rude but if the daughter is not motivated then "this" opportunity wasn't missed. Learn from this experience as a motivator as part of your business strategy..

    Chin Up..

    Mark (N-CA)

    Sac/Placer county

  • Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Zaid R. what kind of response rate are you getting and how many people are you mailing to?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.