Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Ingram
Votes |
Once a lease is extended

Joshua Ingram
Posted Jun 27 2022, 16:16

What are the rules, formalities and curtousies behind this situation? A possible tenant is chosen and the lease is extended (refered to as Person A. You tell them once they sign and submit the security deposit that the property will be taken off the market. They are excited and claim they will sign it within a day. Meanwhile, you continue to show the house and Person B and Person C show extreme interest. They ask to apply and are eager to sign a lease should it be exteneded. Do continue to extended applications and leases or wait to hear the response from Person A? Before extending another lease? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 27 2022, 16:22

@Joshua Ingram

If they have not provided any type of deposit someone saying “they are interested” means nothing to me. I would reach back out to them and say we have significant interest and we need paperwork back by Close of business otherwise we will go in another direction.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Ingram
Votes |
Replied Jun 27 2022, 16:47

Chris, 

That makes sense to me. It’s very competitive out there and I certainly don’t want to loose good potential tenants because of this situation. I just wanted to check that my thinking was ethical. I appreciate your insight. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 27 2022, 20:27
Quote from @Joshua Ingram:

What are the rules, formalities and curtousies behind this situation? A possible tenant is chosen and the lease is extended (refered to as Person A. You tell them once they sign and submit the security deposit that the property will be taken off the market. They are excited and claim they will sign it within a day. Meanwhile, you continue to show the house and Person B and Person C show extreme interest. They ask to apply and are eager to sign a lease should it be exteneded. Do continue to extended applications and leases or wait to hear the response from Person A? Before extending another lease? 

Own your process!

My policy is that they pay the deposit in full within 24 hours. IF they don't, I offer it to the next qualified applicant.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bolanle Ogunmakin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 1 2022, 14:04

@Joshua Ingram I agree with the others that have already commented. As long as there is no signed lease and security deposit, there's no obligation on your end. Continue with the applications! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 1 2022, 14:37

Give person A 24 hours to sign the lease and give you the deposit or you move onto the next person.  Also when you collect the deposit, tell them it is non-refundable if they back out and that it will become their security deposit once they move in.  Make sure all of the utilities are in the new tenant's name before you hand over the keys.