Screening Fee amount (is it OK to charge more than $25 in WI?)

Screening Fee amount (is it OK to charge more than $25 in WI?)

Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hello!

I'm using a property management software (TurboTenant) for rental applications and screening reports, and they charge each prospective tenant $45 for this service.

However, the Wisconsin State Legislature states that the landlord can only charge the actual cost of a credit report (up to $25). If the tenant is from another state, a background check cost of up to $25 may also apply (sec. 704.085).

It is unclear to me if I am actually in breach of this rule by charging the tenant more than the $25 limit, even though it is through a third party. Additionally, ATCP 134.05 says that if the tenant provides a consumer credit report from an agency that compiles and maintains files on consumers on a nationwide basis and it is less than 30 days old, the landlord may still run a credit check but at its own expense.

When I inquired with the company, they replied: "These laws are in place to ensure that you, as a landlord, are not profiting by incentivizing multiple applicants to apply when you have no intent to rent to them. As a third-party software company that does not own or manage any properties, we charge renters a screening fee, not an application fee. This charge covers the cost of generating the screening and background reports."

I understand that these rules vary depending on the state, but any thoughts on this? It is such a common practice for these management software companies to charge these fees, so I assume it is not an issue, especially since they are a third party and the fees cover more than just the credit checks.

Any insight is helpful!

Thank you!

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · WI · Member since 2023 · 192 posts · 144 votes
1y

Bruno, good question and I am glad you asked because this is a law I was unaware of.  My wife and I have used both Zillow and Apartments.com to have candidates apply.  Both of those websites charge the tenants more than $25 and we require all adults living in our units to pay and fill out an application.  For our last single family residence we had a young married couple move in with a brother, all three applied.  We have never had an issue using those services.

We make sure to do initial vetting of our candidates and a showing before we have them apply to not waste their money unless we want to move forward.  The other positive, at least for apartments.com is if they fill out an application it's good for any other unit on the site for 30 days without having to pay the fee again.

Not that it matters for the law but another thing we do for tenants after they are selected is do a gift basket that exceeds that in which they paid in application fees.  I find tenants really appreciate that little extra touch on move in day.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bruno P.:

    Here's a good guide with links to the law: https://www.tenantresourcecenter.org/earnest_money

    If you charge $25 and the credit screening costs $10, you can keep the $10 as income. If the credit screening costs $25, then you earn nothing.

    I believe there are exceptions for a higher fee, but you have to stick to the actual cost of the screening.

    I would talk to an attorney before charging more than $25 per applicant. You probably don't run many applications, so I wouldn't sweat losing a little money on each one. You can pre-screen them for free, then run the credit/criminal background only for those that pass your initial review so you're not wasting time.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    I am not aware of any issues with using third-party screening services. Technically it's up to $25 and not to exceed your actual cost of the credit report. 

    We use Zillow applications to pre-select and run a full background check on mysmartmove only with the final candidate. The applicant needs a credit card to complete the process and they charge more than $25.

    A lot of landlords in Milwaukee do the same. I am on the board of the RPA (Rental Property Association of Wisconsin, a non-profit) and typically hear if things like this are an issue from our members or attorneys. There is some legislative push-back on "junk-fees", but every example I have seen was IMO truly a rip-off.

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Bruno P.:

    Here's a good guide with links to the law: https://www.tenantresourcecenter.org/earnest_money

    If you charge $25 and the credit screening costs $10, you can keep the $10 as income. If the credit screening costs $25, then you earn nothing.

    I believe there are exceptions for a higher fee, but you have to stick to the actual cost of the screening.

    I would talk to an attorney before charging more than $25 per applicant. You probably don't run many applications, so I wouldn't sweat losing a little money on each one. You can pre-screen them for free, then run the credit/criminal background only for those that pass your initial review so you're not wasting time.


     Thanks for the answer and the helpful link!

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    I am not aware of any issues with using third-party screening services. Technically it's up to $25 and not to exceed your actual cost of the credit report. 

    We use Zillow applications to pre-select and run a full background check on mysmartmove only with the final candidate. The applicant needs a credit card to complete the process and they charge more than $25.

    A lot of landlords in Milwaukee do the same. I am on the board of the RPA (Rental Property Association of Wisconsin, a non-profit) and typically hear if things like this are an issue from our members or attorneys. There is some legislative push-back on "junk-fees", but every example I have seen was IMO truly a rip-off.


     Thanks Marcus, very helpful! I'll consider the strategy of pre-screening with Zillow and using mysmartmove with the final candidate!

  • Rental Property Investor · WI · Member since 2023 · 192 posts · 144 votes
    1y

    Bruno, good question and I am glad you asked because this is a law I was unaware of.  My wife and I have used both Zillow and Apartments.com to have candidates apply.  Both of those websites charge the tenants more than $25 and we require all adults living in our units to pay and fill out an application.  For our last single family residence we had a young married couple move in with a brother, all three applied.  We have never had an issue using those services.

    We make sure to do initial vetting of our candidates and a showing before we have them apply to not waste their money unless we want to move forward.  The other positive, at least for apartments.com is if they fill out an application it's good for any other unit on the site for 30 days without having to pay the fee again.

    Not that it matters for the law but another thing we do for tenants after they are selected is do a gift basket that exceeds that in which they paid in application fees.  I find tenants really appreciate that little extra touch on move in day.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    1y

    I am the Chairman of the Wicosnin Real Estate Investors (formerly WAA) we do the lobbying on behalf of the Wisconsin landlords at the state level.  There is NO exception for a 3rd party service that costs more.  The law states:

    "a landlord may require a prospective tenant to pay the landlord’s actual cost, up to $25"

    https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/statutes/704.085(1... states that the most a tenant may pay in Wisconsin is $25.  There is no exception accounted for in the subsections or linked sections that changes the meaning of that statement. 

    You are in violation ATCP.  If the Attorney General gets a complaint they will likely fine you.  If a tenant sues you, it's kind of up to the judge but I also see them siding with the tenant because it is rather black and white. 

    Class action lawsuits are a big thing in Wisconsin against landlords right now.  They are going for bigger fish than you (I think) but this would be an instance of something that opens the door for that for you.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.