House Hacking w/out utilizing investment property tax benefits

House Hacking w/out utilizing investment property tax benefits

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I have a question regarding a house hack strategy -- I apologize if it has been asked before, if there is a similar post please link it & I will utilize that as a reference. I haven't been able to find anything.

Some background: I am currently looking at purchasing my first home in ~1 year (the primary goal of this property will be a home, house hack on the side to help cover expenses). It will likely be a 3 bedroom, single family home. I have every intention on making this a house hack, but there are some concerns I have with taking the amount of the sq. footage that is rented out to be converted to a rental property to deduct expenses on tax returns, or to depreciate the assets every year. First & foremost, I will likely only keep this property for 5-10 years. Therefore, I will forego the 250/500 capital gains exemption for a personal property on the portion that is being invested & likely have to use a 1031 exchange in later years. Additionally, I have a suspicion that deducting part of the sq. footage for rental purposes & depreciating the asset will open me up to being audited (I am not scared of being audited, I would just rather not go through the trouble). 

Does anyone have any advice on the feasibility of not classifying the property as an investment property to depreciate or write off expenses such as furniture, dishes, insurance etc, & just collecting monthly rent on your property for a regularly classified home? By going this route, would I have to report the full amount of rental income as income, without being able to write off expenses, or are some expenses still able to be written off?

My goal is to simply analyze all of the options that I have, & determine the right strategy to move forward with. Is there any other decent tax strategy that may sound viable for this situation? 

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    This sounds like a case where paying a CPA for a couple of hours of their time up front will save you thousands of dollars in the long run. 

    I don't understand your comment "I will likely only keep this property for 5-10 years. Therefore, I will forego the 250/500 capital gains exemption for a personal property" - In order to qualify for the capital gains exemption, you only need to own the home for two years, and live in it as your primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years: 

    https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2019_publink10008937





    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi Jeff,

    Thank you for your comment. Regarding your comment, it is my understanding that if you deem part of your property as an investment in lieu of your personal residence, for that portion of the property that appreciates you are required to pay capital gains taxes on that amount since it was an investment and not your personal residence. Perhaps paying the CPA is the best option.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Cole Stephens

    House hacking makes your tax situation more complex.
    You purchased a property that is treated as both an investment property and a personal residence. As such, payments that you make need to be prorated between business deductions and personal deductions.

    Payments that you make normally fall into one of 3 buckets
    100% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return
    Partial payment can be factored somewhere on the return
    0% of the payment can be factored in somewhere on the return

    House-hacking also has considerable tax implications in the event that you want to sell this property.

    You can potentially defer a portion or all of the gain on the investment property with 1031 exclusion.
    You can potentially exclude a portion or all of the gain on the personal residence with section 121 exclusion

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.