Rookie Investor - 1st Purchase

Rookie Investor - 1st Purchase

New to Real Estate · MA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in West Yarmouth.

Purchase price: $420,000
Cash invested: $50,000

SFR residence in central Cape Cod. Property will be used for short term rentals.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was originally interested in multi. But the market in the Massachusetts area is still very competitive. I pivoted that towards short term rentals in Cape Cod. I saw that it appeared that there wasn't as much competition, you could still get away without having to put down 20%, and the winning bids were exorbitant over asking price.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Deal was found on Zillow/Redfin. Used an agent to negotiate the process.

How did you finance this deal?

Went through a conventional lender where we could put down 10% as a 2nd home/vacation. Was able to secure a fixed rate over a 30 year term .

How did you add value to the deal?

Doing small things right now and eventually want to do some value add projects to add forced appreciation (e.g. update the bathroom, add a deck)

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I'd have to say the entire process was extremely smooth, but that wasn't because it was an easy process. It was because I educated myself through BiggerPockets and other resources to prepare myself for this. I knew what documents to get for the lender and was able to make sure I was organized and gave them whatever they needed quickly.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Would absolutely recommend my realtor, lender, and inspector from this project. All 3 were instrumental getting this done.

4Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Providence, RI · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 14 votes
4y

@Adam Czajkowski nice work on breaking into the STR space! I love the detail on your post as well, super helpful. I purchased a multi-family as a primary residence in RI about two months ago, and I recently started looking at Newport / Cape Cod (primarily Hyannis) for a STR opportunity. Would love to connect some time to get some more color on how your journey is going!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Thank you for the share! I'm closing on a STR next week in the Berkshire and super excited to pivot towards this rental strategy.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 280 votes
    4y

    Congrats and welcome to the STR world! I got into my first one 4 years ago and now I'm closing on #8. Excited for ya!

  • New to Real Estate · MA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Joseph Bafia. Thank you very much! I hope to get to those numbers soon! That's great with #8, congrats on that. What areas do you focus in? I used to live in NC, a lot of great places for STR

  • New to Real Estate · MA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Lien Vuong Thank you Lien! Congrats as well. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    4y

    @Adam Czajkowski

    Congrats on your recent purchase! Welcome to the exciting world of Cape Cod vacation rentals :)

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations @Adam Czajkowski ! 

  • New to Real Estate · Providence, RI · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Adam Czajkowski nice work on breaking into the STR space! I love the detail on your post as well, super helpful. I purchased a multi-family as a primary residence in RI about two months ago, and I recently started looking at Newport / Cape Cod (primarily Hyannis) for a STR opportunity. Would love to connect some time to get some more color on how your journey is going!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.