SFH home BRRRR to a triplex - Buy and hold

SFH home BRRRR to a triplex - Buy and hold

Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 9 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $160,000
Cash invested: $245,000
Sale price: $475,000

Purchased a single family home and converted it into 3 apartments. Purchased for $160,000. Put $85,000 into renovations for $245,000 all cash in. Cash-out refinance appraised at $475,000. A pay-out of $85,000. Currently renting all 3 units I cash flow almost $2000/mo. On to the next BRRRR.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was looking for a hack of some type. In my market there were not small multi-families available. So instead I bought a large split foyer to convert to a duplex and was able to make it a tri-plex.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I worked with a real estate agent to find a home in need of TLC. It had just had a deal fall though due to them not being able to obtain financing due to the issues of the home. I offered cash and they took it.

How did you finance this deal?

I paid cash to purchase, cash to renovate and cash-out refinanced on a commerical loan at 70% LTV.

How did you add value to the deal?

I added a bathroom. I put egress windows in the two basement bedrooms and added 2 kitchens, to make a 4 bedroom 3 bath home into a 6 bedroom 4 bathroom home, that was broke up onto 3 apartments.

What was the outcome?

70% LTV paid me $85,000 above my investment and I am cash flowing almost $2000/mo. on rents.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Screen your contractors better. I had a plumber take me for around $1200. A deck builder build a deck I will have to rebuild soon and a roofer cost me $7000 to rip his new roof off to replace with right away since he installed so badly.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I worked with a real estate agent, lender, lawyer and CPA to keep things going in my business.

4Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Westchester, NY · Member since 2021 · 77 posts · 35 votes
4y

Was this a SFH that was zoned multifamily or did you get that changed?

How did it work with the building Dept? Did you have to have plans drawn up beforehand or were they happy with a list of changes?

What was the the post-closing but pre-construction investment (ie: engineers, deposit to contractors, building Dept fees etc)

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2017 · 152 posts · 65 votes
    4y

    Great work Cassy in seeing the full potential of this investment. Contractors can really cost investors when they don’t know what they’re doing. Congrats!

  • Eric GoldmanBusiness Member
    Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 192 votes
    4y

    Great work! 

    G2loans- Investor and Commercial Mortgages531 Reviews
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Nice! Congrats @Cassy T. ! 

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    Cassy,

    Fantastic job!  Thanks for giving me a new idea.

  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2017 · 195 posts · 106 votes
    4y

    @Cassy T.

    This is great!! 
    I currently shifted my criteria to SFH that could rehab and turn into a multi family. So I look for high SQft and multiple bathrooms on different floors. Also zoning to make sure they can be converted.

  • Real Estate Agent · Westchester, NY · Member since 2021 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    Was this a SFH that was zoned multifamily or did you get that changed?

    How did it work with the building Dept? Did you have to have plans drawn up beforehand or were they happy with a list of changes?

    What was the the post-closing but pre-construction investment (ie: engineers, deposit to contractors, building Dept fees etc)

  • Investor · Kitty Hawk OBX NC · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    Great job Cassy !!

    It’s a wonderful thing when you’re able to see hidden potential where most likely everyone else didn’t recognize it and then taking action!!

    I love it! Good luck and god speed on your next adventure! Stories like this are ridiculously inspirational!

    Gotta love the BRRRR !!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.