2nd Duplex in Minneapolis, MN

2nd Duplex in Minneapolis, MN

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 210 votes

Investment Info:

Buy and hold duplex in Minneapolis, MN

Purchase price: $275,000
Cash invested: $85,000 (~73k for 25% down payment and closing costs, the rest for renovations).
Monthly cash flow: $520 (will be $750 once HELOC is paid down)

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I wanted to keep the momentum going from my first deal and knew that tapping into the HELOC from my first property would allow me to generate a return on that equity. I also wanted a house near my first househack and current primary residence that wouldn't require a ton of work, that way it would be fully stabilized before my next househack was available this fall.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

MLS! This deal had been sitting on the market since September of 2020 with a couple price reductions, and my offer was accepted in Feb 2021. Due to the MN winter market and since it sat for so long, I was able to get an offer accepted for 20k below asking price. It was listed for 295k, I offered 280k with 5k of my closing costs covered to reduce my cash to close. This gets stated a lot but as an investor I would always try for this, especially an owner occupant loan where you can get more covered but this was strictly an investment property. One other incentive to get the deal accepted was we put in our offer that the inspection was a pass/fail, aka I wasn't going to nickel and dime them to get the price down for minor issues. Also added that I'd cover an appraisal gap up to 5k.

How did you finance this deal?

25% down payment - fixed 3.375% 30 year investment loan. Down payment was 100% funded from the HELOC I took on my first property. At 3.99% interest only on 70k this comes to ~$233/month as the minimum payment, but I'm also paying back a renovation loan with it and paying above the minimum to reduce my short term debt. Plus it's essentially a reloadable gun so paying it down gives me more cash available for future projects.

How did you add value to the deal?

Mostly a cosmetic remodel. Both units were vacant so I repainted the whole interior. Repainted cabinets and stainless steel appliances in one kitchen. I replaced the toilets, vanities, medicine cabinets, vanity light in the bathroom. Light fixtures throughout a lot of the house. Made custom storage for bedroom with no closet. Had utility company add a gas meter then had my plumber add in a water heater so I could split gas and bill to tenant. Lots of pest proofing on the exterior.

The biggest project was all the ceiling and wall repair required - had to demo one ceiling where the joists were split - only 2x4s plus water damage caused a major sag. Many others had small sags or just looks gross, so there was a mix of installing new drywall or sanding them down and all ended up with a knockdown finish. This is my least favorite type of work so hired this out to a handyman... more on that later.

What was the outcome?

All in all took ~10-12 weeks to remodel and get rented out, 1350 for each 2 bedroom unit plus a $25 pet fee for one. With PITI a little over 1400, 15% expense ratio for vacancy/capex/maintenance, $150/month allotted for water & garbage, and a $233/month minimum HELOC payment this deal cash flows about 520/month. Note: I do self manage and one tenant is taking care of lawn/snow removal in exchange for parking (very small yard and area to shovel). The margins aren't great, I consider this a base hit but allowed me to keep learning lessons for the next deal and gain some cash flow in the meantime.

Equity-wise I am all in for a little under ~290k (PP+rehab) and I think this property is conservatively worth at least 325k. I know Zillow and Redfin estimates don't mean **** but they are at 340k and 334k respectively now. This property is a little hard to comp but most of the duplexes with the same bed/bath count in the area (near Powderhorn Park, if curious) are selling for 400k+ with a couple over 500k, which is all kind of ridiculous to me. Granted a lot those properties are ~1200 sq ft/unit while mine are smaller at 800-900 and not quite as nice, but rental wise they can probably cap out at maybe $100/month than I am renting mine for.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

1. I need to be more thorough when going through properties during showings. I think I was excited for my second deal and overlooked some issues that I spent a lot of time addressing during the remodel. I have a checklist now and plan to take more pictures and document in the future, mostly for vacant spaces which this building was.

2. Setting expectations with contractors is vital, or any working relationship. I had worked with my handyman once before with mixed but overall positive results, and right after closing I was so pumped to get started I agreed to work with him even though he was working on another large project (and doing a poor job, at that). I waited a couple weeks when I could have been doing a lot of prep work myself, and ended up paying a fair amount over what he bid initially. I should have set more of a timeline and payment structure up front, but I will not be working with him again so not the end of the world. It's also important to have multiple contractors in a trade for situations like this (or people being busy). 

3. Keeping up with the market is also important even when you aren't in a position to buy. I had seen a few properties sell abnormally low in this area so I figured that I could get some cash flow near here, or use those sales to negotiate a lower purchase price if necessary. These properties sold during winter which I think played a role... as mentioned before sub 350k is tough to get now so knowing what areas should be priced at and trying to scoop properties below that is a very obvious, but tried and true method to build equity, particularly if you're okay with buying properties that need a facelift.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Same agent/lender as my first deal!!

Agent: Kent Hranicka with the Duplex Doctors

Lender: Conor Hesch with Bell Bank

Title: Sarah Weaver with Chicago Title

Contractors: Would not recommend my handyman and I DIYed a fair amount, but I do have an electrician for small jobs and also Dennis with Arrow Pest Control was very knowledgeable/helpful for this situation. 

3Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike MoeBusiness Member
Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 52 votes
5y

Congrats! Looks like a great deal. There is still a way to find solid deals on market for those who don't want to go direct to seller, as you prove here. Nice work!

Superior Real Estate Team537 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike MoeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    Congrats! Looks like a great deal. There is still a way to find solid deals on market for those who don't want to go direct to seller, as you prove here. Nice work!

    Superior Real Estate Team537 Reviews
  • Banker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    Congrats on your success Evan! Looks like it went fairly well overall in the end. I always enjoy reading the lessons learned from everyone. Cheers to you and your continued success!!

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 210 votes
    5y

    @Mike Moe Agreed! I think looking at properties that have been on the market for awhile especially can yield opportunities since people will assume something is majorly wrong with the property and ignore it - I know I had those concerns like what am I missing here? Haha. Also there's a lot more inventory now than there was when I was looking for this property, I think there are more coming up that look like they're at least close to being deals, at least relative to the previous year.

    @Brandon Plombon Thanks Brandon! Yeah there were a few points where I was questioning my decisions... the appraiser projected $950/month in rents when I had underwritten at 1300-1350 (albeit after light rehab). I knew his number was off since sub 1k for a 2bed is really low for Minneapolis but still seeing that and the condition it was on final walkthrough started to plant some doubts. Everything turned out okay, just a little more work than I anticipated.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Nice! Congrats @Evan Kraljic ! 

  • New to Real Estate · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Hi Evan, thanks for sharing your experience! I am a new investor looking to acquire my first rental property in the Twin Cities area. That said, any chance you’d be willing to share this “checklist” for when you walk through properties? Would love to see some of the items you’ve learned to look for as I begin to look for my first place.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 210 votes
    5y

    For sure @Connor Mohs! The major systems to note for CapEx are foundation, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing.

    For foundation, go over all the joists and exterior walls - use a flashlight if needed. For joists you are looking for anything with dry rot, bowing/splits in them, or sistered joists (shorter joist screwed/nailed into the other for support). On exterior walls, look for signs of water damage and any major cracks.

    For electrical, mainly look out for old knob and tube wiring, fuse boxes for the electrical panel, and if it's a regular panel with circuit breakers open it up and see if there's any space left to add onto it, say if you want to add a dishwasher or need it for something else in the future. 

    HVAC - you should be able to check the year that a furnace, boiler, or water heater was installed. This isn't as vital to get during an initial showing and your inspector should make note of it if you forget it.

    Plumbing - Check for old galvanized water supply lines - these corrode over time and reduce water pressure. You could also check water pressure in the units by running the bathroom/kitchen fixtures. Copper or PEX are ideal (I prefer PEX since it wouldn't freeze in the winter and bust). 

    Other big ticket items would be roof, windows, siding. These items you can just tell visually what kind of condition they're in, and you can ask when they were last replaced too. I also purchased a laser tape measure so I can verify bedroom and other measurements quickly. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Broker in FL, GA & NC · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 34 votes
    5y

    Congrats Evan! Keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like a great property. I hope it makes you a lot of money. Best of luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    5y
    This is very helpful, thank you Evan!

    Originally posted by @Evan Kraljic:

    For sure @Connor Mohs! The major systems to note for CapEx are foundation, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing.

    For foundation, go over all the joists and exterior walls - use a flashlight if needed. For joists you are looking for anything with dry rot, bowing/splits in them, or sistered joists (shorter joist screwed/nailed into the other for support). On exterior walls, look for signs of water damage and any major cracks.

    For electrical, mainly look out for old knob and tube wiring, fuse boxes for the electrical panel, and if it's a regular panel with circuit breakers open it up and see if there's any space left to add onto it, say if you want to add a dishwasher or need it for something else in the future. 

    HVAC - you should be able to check the year that a furnace, boiler, or water heater was installed. This isn't as vital to get during an initial showing and your inspector should make note of it if you forget it.

    Plumbing - Check for old galvanized water supply lines - these corrode over time and reduce water pressure. You could also check water pressure in the units by running the bathroom/kitchen fixtures. Copper or PEX are ideal (I prefer PEX since it wouldn't freeze in the winter and bust). 

    Other big ticket items would be roof, windows, siding. These items you can just tell visually what kind of condition they're in, and you can ask when they were last replaced too. I also purchased a laser tape measure so I can verify bedroom and other measurements quickly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2017 · 152 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    Congrats Evan! Sounds like a total plus to your already primary res. Cheers buddy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.