Opportunity to Purchase 5 homes for under $70k. What should I do.

Opportunity to Purchase 5 homes for under $70k. What should I do.

Cameron, NC · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 2 votes

I am just starting out in real estate and I've come across what seems to me as a great opportunity but wanted some advice from seasoned investors before moving forward. An older couple, in their late 80's would like to sell some homes that they own. The issue is they will only sell in bundles. I am currently thinking of purchasing 5. Two are assessed by the tax assessor at $15k, two at 13k and one at $7k. As you can imagine the houses are not in the best neighborhood and are very old one was built in 1904, none built after 1960. All are currently occupied with renters who have been in the homes for over 7 years one for 20 and the current owners collect $300 in rent from 3 tenants, $250 from another and $400 for another. That is more than enough for taxes, mortgages and expenses. There will be upgrades that I will have to make and I will factor those in once I see the inside of the homes. There are several issues. The current owner is a landlord she collects money, she negotiates the rent when tenants can't pay and she accepts late payments. She has mentioned numerous times how the current tenants see her as a friend and she is not tough. The neighborhood is not a war zone, it doesn't even have a large crime rate, however it is not in the nicest part of town.

A little about me. I am a newbie investor who has conducted tons of research and know that I am interested in investing for 99% cash flow. I would like to buy and hold. I have no interest in being a landlord, I only want to own properties. I currently own 1 rental managed by a management company and it has a great tenant, in a great area and its pretty self sufficient and has a cash flow of $300 a month. I would definitely hire a management company for this new deal if I go through with it. The homes are about 2 hours away from where I live and as I mentioned before I have zero desire to be a landlord.

So with all that being said, my questions to seasoned investors are,would you pursue this deal? What are your concerns (I know the upgrades are a concern but I just don't have that info right now. The current owner says the tenants don't want her to paint the walls or put down new carpet.)? Are there any questions I should ask? What would make this a better deal? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

0Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 205 posts · 112 votes
    13y

    Batista Thomas

    Using the 50% rule, on the surface this looks like a good deal that should be seriously considered (at a purchase price of sub 70K).

    Expenses = Gross Rents * 50%
    $1550* .5 = $775

    So, the amount you have left over at the end of the month to pay your mortgage and your profit (also known as you Net Operating Income, or NOI) is $775:

    Therefore your yearly NOI would be $9300 ($775 * 12months)

    $9300 * 10 = $93,000

    50% rule values the properties at $93K.

    Another benefit is that you may be purchasing a good amount of equity as well. Have you checked comps?

  • Cameron, NC · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thanks so much for your response. I have not run any official comps but zillow and other sites like it have the houses vaulted from 40k-50k a piece. However, they don't account for the fact that the current owners probably have not done much work on the houses in many many years. The current owners have owned the homes for at least 20 years. Thanks again for the feedback.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Batista

    Welcome. Often when there is a bundle it is because one or more of the properties are under performing. CCheck each property individually.

    Paul

  • Cameron, NC · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the feedback Paul.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.