175k of Equity Created, Modified BRRRR STR into a LOC

175k of Equity Created, Modified BRRRR STR into a LOC

Rental Property Investor · Hammond, WI · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 217 votes

Investment Info:

4400 square foot cabin on Lake Superior overlooking the western Apostle Islands 

Purchase price: $325,000
Cash invested: $60,000

Post-Renovation Appraisal: $495,000
Post-Renovation LOC: $154,500

My wife and I had frequented this area since we were kids. We wanted to begin adding a few STR's to our LTR portfolio. This oversized cabin was exactly what we were looking for. There were no large cabins in the area and the rental demand for the area was excellent in this remote part of WI.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

We had been frequenting the area and thought it was a niche market to have a house that could sleep 18 people comfortably.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

It was listed on the MLS, but had started out way too high and had been listed on and off for the previous 10 years. It was originally listed for 500k and eventually was at 340k; we settled at 325k.

How did you finance this deal?

10% down 2nd home program, with the intention of renovating it immediately and be rid of PMI.

How did you add value to the deal?

It was not a complete gut, but I had about 30k worth of renovations into it which I did mostly myself and some help from friends/family. There was a rough-in for an additional tub and it was incorrectly listed as only a 3 bedroom, when it was really a 4. I framed in an additional shower, replaced 4000 square feet of flooring with LVP to hold up to rigors of STR, removed 50 gallon electric water heater and replaced with a 75 gallon LP unit, completely renovated both sets of stairs, added additional railings to bring up to code, new trim throughout the house, added automation with thermostats and locks, and also furnished it via secondhand stores with some new items.

What was the outcome?

The original broker's opinion to drop PMI came in at 458k, I decided to order a full appraisal for a LOC. The full appraisal came in at 495k, which allowed me to open up a 154k LOC against the property. I currently have the next 6 weeks booked up for an average of 220$/night; and have about 1/2 of my peak season booked up averaging 500$/night. It should conservatively cash flow 1500$/month. I've had 6 guests stay so far and have given 5* reviews, I'm still working on automation with cleaners and schedule's, but it's getting there.

I decided to not completely refinance as I would rather have access to the LOC and didn't want to go through the nightmare of underwriting again as it is a pain for conventional financing with my long term rental portfolio and I have cheap (3%; 30 year locked) debt on this property already.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Logistics can be a nightmare when you are in a rural area.  I pay more than most for handymen, cleaners, electricity etc... but the payoff can be massive.  

I still need to get a professional photographer in the building as my AirBnB and VRBO pictures are less than ideal, but schedule's haven't worked well with adequate sun and not having people in the cabin.  I included a link to the completed project.  

Lake Superior Lakefront and Large Group Getaway (dog-friendly) - Herbster (vrbo.com)

0Reply
27 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Luke G.

    What a great story! Makes me wanna try it out with a vacation rental.

    Yes... Get better pictures soon!

  • Philip CookPro Member
    Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2020 · 91 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    Nice to hear that the project is going well. Hopefully you can get those picture taken. Have you tried trading a couple day stay for the photos so they have a chance to get good light conditions? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hammond, WI · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 217 votes
    5y

    @Philip Cook- it isn't been a money issue, it's a time and weather one.  

    Dates for the particular one I've hired just haven't worked out; he lives up there so trading a few free nights would have little interest to him.  Even if I let him stay there for free for a 3 nights stay that would end up costing me 850$'s, 3 nights @200 and a 250$ cleaning fee even if it was during the week.  It makes it more complicated as my cabin is east facing so we need a sunny morning when the cabin is clean.

    I have no open nights in February, but several promising weekday dates in March so I'm confident they will get taken within the next 6 weeks.  It hasn't appeared to matter much yet as interest has been insane, but I know long term it will.

  • Philip CookPro Member
    Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2020 · 91 posts · 52 votes
    5y

    @Luke G. Too many people booking, that sounds like the good type of problem to be having. LOL

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.