How I purchased an $800k multifamily with no money

How I purchased an $800k multifamily with no money

Jon HuberPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes

Hello, my name is Jon Huber. I just closed on my latest acquisition. It was a 6-unit apartment complex in one of the most desirable neighborhoods of Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors. This area is one of the most competitive markets, so I will explain exactly how I found this off market deal. Not only did I not pay any money out of pocket, but I was GIVEN a check at closing for $27,000.

In 2015, I decided to take a HELOC out on a property I owned in Los Angeles. I used that HELOC as a downpayment on a triplex in West Palm Beach, FL. I purchased the property for $235,000 with no money out of pocket since I used my HELOC. Rents were at $800/unit with problematic tenants. As each tenant left, I rehabbed the units, placed better tenants, and increased the rents.

In the Spring of 2020, my triplex was fully rented with rents at $1,050/unit. I sold the triplex for $400,000. While I still owed $175,000 on the mortgage, I chose to do a 1031 exchange into another property with the remaining $225,000.

In the Summer of 2020, I was scouring the market for anything as I was nearing the end of my "45‑Day Identification Period". A property came on the market that was EXACTLY what I wanted. As my realtor attempted to get the rent rolls, it was off the market. The realtor jumped the gun as the seller WANTS to sell in but first needed to separate the utilities. So the agent took it off the market and said we can submit an offer once the utilities are down in two months. Being that time was of the essence, and I know they wanted to sell, I submitted my offer contingent on the separation of utilities. Some back and forth was necessary for the agreed upon price, but lucky for me, it was off market and I didn't have any competing offers. The asking price was $750,000. The final purchase price was $720,000.

Due to complications with the electrical work being done, and paper work with the lender, we were delayed and didn't close on the property until late 2020. Since that time, the market had appreciated even more compressing already tight cap rates. With the newly separated utilities and lower cap rate, and a gross rent collected of about $6,800/month, the valuation would easily surpass $800,000.

Between both closings (triplex and sixplex), I paid about $18,000 in closing costs, including the fees for the 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange. The downpayment on the property was $180,000. I could have done a FULL 1031 exchange, but I chose to do a partial 1031 exchange. This allowed me to walk away from the closing with $27,000 in my pocket. Side note: I will have to pay capital gains tax on that money, but I am okay with that.

Whoever said that you should never sell real estate must have never done a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange. Not only am I thrilled how it turned out, but I am already looking through my portfolio to do it again.

15Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
5y

I like that ! I agree ☝️  

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    So, to recap, I was able to use multiple strategies that @Brandon Turner outlines in his book "The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and low) Money Down", where another one of my transactions was highlighted on page 215 (shameless plus). I was able to use a HELOC for the first transaction, and a 1031 Tax Deferred Exhange for the second transaction. The combination of both strategies made it all possible. This is why I love real estate.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    Great work @Jon Huber, I own in Wilton manors and it is a fantastic area.  I hope to pull off a deal like you some day soon! 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber Thanks for sharing your story. I have been looking in and around Wilton Manors myself and have struggled to find a good deal. Sounds like great timing and successful strategy.

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Reese Newell Such a great neighborhood. I’m really happy with the place!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Giana Pacinelli It was definitely an advantageous situation. I’m pretty fortunate it worked out as well as it did. 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Reese Newell and @Giana Pacinelli , Just a heads up. We have a local meetup that meets in person as well as streams via Zoom every month if you are interest. People from Broward and Palm Beach county come. Some from Miami have taken the drive as well. Let me know if you want more info!

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber Would love more info! Though may be sticking with Zoom for now..

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber, I definitely will come, please DM me with the info.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber, looks like a great deal all around.  My only caution would be for people trying to emulate this strategy.  There was a LOT of good timing going on here, as Giana mentioned.  I realize you renovated units and increased rents, but even that doesn't normally cause $175,000 value increase.  You didn't mention what Cap Rate you began at and where it finished, but I'm thinking a 2 point change would cover "compressed" to "severely compressed" (maybe a 7 to a 5?). Would you mind running out your math on that where we could see what's going on in detail?

    It's interesting to hear talk of CAP rate on triplexes. Where I live, CAP RATE affect on value is meaningless until you get into 50+ unit complexes valued over $5,000,000. Anything less is valued primarily based on comps. I was looking at a 20 unit complex priced at $1.2M last year, and when I mentioned Cap Rate my equity partner shook his head and said (basically), "This deal isn't a Cap rate deal...you've got to check comps."

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Erik W. Exactly. I didn't mention CAP Rates on the triplex, because it is more about the comps. Also, you are correct about the good timing, but it was also about negotiating a great deal. When buying the triplex in 2015, I had negotiated a great deal from $295k to $235k, which I documented in this post almost 6 years ago: I bought my first multifamily

    So, I negotiated a phenomenal deal at the time of purchase. THAT is when you make your money. I would caution others trying to emulate this strategy as well... but something to take note of. I was very educated, very calculated, and very prepared when the opportunity presented itself.

    I could go through the math on the "forced appreciation" of the renovations and the increased rent, but the reason I was able to sell the property for $165k more was because of ACTUAL appreciation, not FORCED appreciation. Of course, the renovations and rents helped, but the neighborhood had changed, the population had increased, and the city was much more desirable than it was 6 years ago. Like you said, the renovations and the rents would be more likely a factor if it were a large multifamily, but because it is a small multifamily, I am more reliant on the comps.

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    Good investment. Good find.  Prices have peaked in WM and still no end in sight.  I Live and own multi- families here as well.   Congrats.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queen Creek, AZ (85142) · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Jon Huber Fantastic success and using your available tools. As an aspiring real estate investor this gives my a lot of inspiration.

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Jeff Hubert You are not kidding! I was lucky to be able to get this of market!

  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    Well done brother!  The wife and I were just talking about you and the meetup yesterday, then I see this on my feed.  

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber Posts like these are the ones that motivate me to keep learning. Congratulations on the deal! I was near the area recently and im sure it will bring good profits for years to come.

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    Enjoy your strategy now and act ..because the 1031 is going away very soon according to this new administration

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Stogner Thank you! This strategy took some heavy negotiations and some favorable timing... but it is certainly doable for anyone.

  • Carlos RoviraBusiness Member
    Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 329 posts · 124 votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber this awesome. Congrats!

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jon Huber Fantastic story! Congrats on the success and great timing. What is your expected cash flow on those units? 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Brian Dickerson  Great to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and your family.

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Jorge Ydlibi Thank you so much! It really is a great area

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    @Dennis Wayne  Thanks! I think changes have been discussed, but every time they are discussed they are turned down. At this point, I would think changes are highly unlikely. However, we common folk are never privy to that kind of information. Just a guess... 

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jon Huber:

    @Dennis Wayne  Thanks! I think changes have been discussed, but every time they are discussed they are turned down. At this point, I would think changes are highly unlikely. However, we common folk are never privy to that kind of information. 

    The Biden administration may eliminate the 1031 Exchange Program for real estate investors with incomes above $400,000. The 1031 Exchange Program allows investors to defer capital gains taxes due upon the sale of an investment property by reinvesting the proceeds into another property.

    Biden’s policy proposal, entitled “The Biden Plan for Mobilizing American Talent and Heart to Create a 21st Century Caregiving and Education Workforce,” states that it will be paid for by “rolling back unproductive and unequal tax breaks for real estate investors with incomes over $400,000.” Further, campaign officials have stated that they will take aim at “so-called like kind exchanges,” leading experts to believe the 1031 Exchange Program is on the chopping block for high-income earners.

    The elimination of this program for high-income investors could cause them to hold on to properties for longer than in the past and may have the effect of decreasing supply and demand 

    Sounds like wishful thinking on Your part but ok 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dennis Wayne:
    Sounds like wishful thinking on Your part but ok  

    I only focus on what I can control. I'll let the politicians play politics. If the 1031 goes away, I'll be thankful for the transactions I've had, and then I will just used a different strategy. It pays to have a great CPA who can help guide me adapt. As investors, we have to adapt as policies and laws are ever changing. Those who don't adapt... become tenants.

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    I like that ! I agree ☝️  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.