Dorchester Condo - Beating The Masses To A Changing Market

Dorchester Condo - Beating The Masses To A Changing Market

Rental Property Investor · Nashville · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 9 votes

Investment Info:

Condo buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $291,000
Cash invested: $12,000

A friend introduced me to a couple that needed to move for work. We shook hands on the spot.
Since 2013, the home has gained ~$150k equity. We have used the equity for cash-out refi twice! Once to buy our live-in home here in Nashville, and again to fund the down payment on our first investment LTR (also listed here in BP).
We have great tenants who pay $2,300 a month. After twice refi, it is still giving positive cash flow of $200/mo.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

South of Boston was turning fast. I knew that if I could find a condo that just needed a little lipstick, and that was within a 10 minute walk to the subway, that I would always have a place in a primary rental market and with exceptional equity growth. The Dorchester market was a block-by-block area at this time, but 7 years later, every block is highly attractive and rehabbed.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

An intro from a friend to a motivated buyer. I realized I needed to sweeten the pot. I offered to purchase without a buyer agent and have them manage as a FSBO. And I told them that I would move in at whatever pace they needed, so they didn't feel any pressure to find their new home.

How did you finance this deal?

Traditional 20% down

How did you add value to the deal?

Paint, increased closet sizes, added major curb appeal with wood retaining wall and landscaping, repaired a pergola, new fixtures and lighting throughout.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Compass property management has been really affordable and responsive.

2Reply
32 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 214 votes
    5y

    @Chad Smith, nice work on this one! Dorchester is an exciting area to invest in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.