Looking to evaluate 4 plex deal in Sacramento

Looking to evaluate 4 plex deal in Sacramento

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote

$800000 price, 20% down. rent is 4250 and could be raised to 5200 minimum.  All 2/1 units.  2beds are going from 1200-1500 per month in the area.  These 4 are at 800, 1075, 1125 and 1250.  Recently renovated, so no renovation costs.  All estimates, but with a 3% loan, 8% vacancy, 5% repairs, 9% management, taxes, insurance, etc.  At $4250 per month I'm looking at about $105 cash flow per month.  With the extra rent raise it would be added on, minus the management fees.  

Anything else I might be missing?  This would be my second rental purchase, but first one in my local market.  I would also need a partner to get the full down payment.  

Thanks for the help!  

Rob

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel ZapataPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    I would also factor in a capex fund for major repairs. Who pays utilities? I suggest trying the BP Rental Property calculator to get a better assessment, but it looks like a thin deal to me and I would likely pass.

    Rent control will prohibit you from getting to market rents unless you turn over the tenants. Otherwise it would take you years of the limited incremental rent increases (5% + inflation). Once they are turned over, there will likely be non-trivial turnover costs.

    Also consider how much money you will have deployed for that $105 cash flow (per unit?).

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Daniel Zapata thanks for the input. I used the calculator and got those costs. I don’t think there is rent control in Sac, but I would have to find out. Depends on if prop 21 passes on Election Day too.

  • Daniel ZapataPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    There were some restrictions already put in place last year: https://www.sacbee.com/news/lo...

    Prop 21 would just expand even more rent control powers to the government, IIRC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.