Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Ounanian
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
My First Deal in St. Louis Missouri

David Ounanian
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted Jul 19 2020, 19:12

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment in St. Louis.

This was an absolute nightmare! After listening to hundreds of bigger pockets podcasts and researching enough about real estate investing to be dangerous I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first investment deal.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was originally interested in using the BRRRR method so that I could scale and build passive cash flow to build long term wealth. But on this deal the rehab costs went way way over budget and I had to resort to trying to sell the property in order to cut my losses.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal on craigslist. It was listed by a wholesaler. I later found out after I closed that it had been wholesaled to the wholesaler so my margins were already thin to being with. I negotiated a purchase price of $45,000. ARV of the property was $96,000 which is what I sold it for 6 months later.

How did you finance this deal?

I used my own personal cash savings which later turned out to be a horrible idea. Because so many things went wrong with this property I was down to my last few dollars before this deal finally sold. Had one more thing went wrong I would've had no way to pay for it and it was incredibly stressful. For my future deals I always use OPM (Other People's Money)! This allows me to have my personal cash savings as an emergency fund incase something happens and I need it.

How did you add value to the deal?

This property needed a complete rehab. It was a 50 year old home that had mostly original construction inside and out. The plan was to update it, rent it out, refinance it and repeat the process (the BRRRR method). The wholesaler told me the estimated rehab costs were $20,000. To be safe I estimated about $25,000. The problem was that the actual costs to fix up the property ended up being around $50,000.

What was the outcome?

The outcome was not what I had expected. I had to change exit strategies to cut my losses and sell. When I purchased the property it was vacant and the utilities were off. I had my home inspector inspect the property but with the power, water and gas shut off there wasn't too much he would've been able to uncover. This I didn't realize until it was too late. Every problem you can think of came up in this house from foundation problems to electrical and plumbing it all had to go.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Looking back on my first deal I got a PhD in real estate investing. I lost around $5000. Which at the time felt absolutely terrible, I remember the day I found out about the foundation problems I literally wept at the property thinking I was a total failure. But now the money lost seems like a bargain for the education gained. Since this deal I was able to push forward to acquire over a dozen BRRRR rental properties enabling me to escaping my corporate job.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

The biggest mistake I made on this deal was not getting any help. I thought I could do everything myself. That's why I became focused as a real estate agent to help others succeed. I created My Agent Investor to give people access to investor friendly agents that can help them avoid all of the mistakes that I made on my first deal. We have a team of agents that can help you with everything from figuring out cash flow on rentals, estimating repairs, to negotiating great on or off market deals.

CASHFLOW NATION Logo

Loading replies...