My first House Hack/BRRRR/ Living in a construction zone

My first House Hack/BRRRR/ Living in a construction zone

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 26 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $202,000
Cash invested: $50,000

House Hack/ BRRRR property. Bought this triplex, lived in one unit, fixed up and moved to the next, and repeat. Completed most of the work myself, all that was allowed by code. Now with all units renovated, rents have increased by 33%. Refinanced to pull out improvement cost and capital. I will hold this property for many years... unless the price is right.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I am very handy and enjoy doing a lot of work myself. While I understand that is not a "scalable" practice, with this being my first property, it gave me the opportunity to teach myself a lot and get into the real estate market slowly but with a solid foundation.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

As this is my first true real estate deal, I would venture to say, my negotiating and "best deal" practices were not the best. However, that is no concern to me. I know I will hold this property for many years. With that, I don't care if I could have saved an extra $5k on the purchase price, because I have already made up for that in the capital improvements.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional Loan, nothing really special hear. I'm an engineer, not an artist. But going forward, I plan to branch out as I learn more creative financing methods.

How did you add value to the deal?

I completely renovated all three units of this triplex and the outside. With future renovations of the units, from the kitchen cabinets, all new flooring, building out a room into an attic, tile shower, new vanity and countertops, and all new paint. However, some of the easiest and most visually impactful improvements are in the small/easy landscaping. I was able to trim bushes, add some low maintenance plants, and the first impression of the house has changed dramatically.

What was the outcome?

Outcome has been a property that I have fully switched to a property manager, making it a truly passive investment, with increased value, all capital pulled out with the BRRRR method, and increase rent (and cashflow).

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Tons of lessons learned in the rehab, the biggest one being, as much as I enjoy and am decent at doing the work, hire more of the work out. I would work my 9-5, which was more like 6am to 7pm, then come home and work on the house for 4 hours. It was draining and not a sustainable life style. So my enjoyment of renovations can be on a small built-in, or a nice piece of woodwork that I truly enjoy; not in my kitchen forcing me to eat microwavable mac n cheese from my lap.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I worked with two real estate professionals that I had a great experience with and have continued working with for my next deals.

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 72 votes
    6y

    @Cameron O'Connor Awesome work. Thank you for sharing.

    Looks like you learned a lot from this deal. What are your plans for new deals going forward?

    Any lessons on deal sourcing?

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @John Wijtenburg,

    I am in contract with my second deal right now actually, hoping to close in the next couple of weeks. Right now with my search being mainly on 2-4 unit multifamily, my biggest advice would be have at least 1 (get 2 or 3 even) real estate agent working for you. If you're buying, they are at no additional cost to you. Do your own search and your own due diligence, but if you work a full time job and can't spend 8+ hours a day searching then you need someone in your court that can do that for you. I am always surprised at the deals that they find just from talking within their own offices that haven't even hit the market yet.

    My goal is to grow and search for 10-25 unit apartments as well. I have just begun this and am early on the process. Looking to contact some brokers shortly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.