First BRRRR and first multifamily deal was a success!

First BRRRR and first multifamily deal was a success!

Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $36,000

This was my second deal as an investor. This was my first BRRRR and put me on the path to multifamily properties. I finished this deal around May of his year. We put new tenants in that we screened ourselves and it's worked out great.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

My first deal was a SFR, but I knew I wanted to move into multifamily. When I found this property I knew I was going to have to use more tools to make it work, and realized I had found my first BRRRR opportunity. This was the catalyst for my next two multifamily deals.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

It had been sitting on the MLS for months. It had tenants but needed lots of work. They were asking $70k. I offered $30k. We landed at $37k. BUT - the contract was not signed that day, and the next day he decided he wanted $47k. I walked away. Almost 4 months later we heard he was really itching to sell, so we offered $37k contingent on the property being vacant at closing and got the deal done. After a mistake by title, we ended up with a final price of $36k.

How did you finance this deal?

I borrowed from my 401k to buy it cash with some extra for rehab.

How did you add value to the deal?

We rehabbed the interior of both units. We did new paint, 20 year warrantied commercial vinyl plank flooring, new counters, painted cabinets, new appliances, new light fixtures, painted the basement, among others. We also ended up having to repair the 2nd floor balcony, plumbing, electrical, and a few other unexpected items.

What was the outcome?

The building appraised for $88,000! I ran my numbers based on a $70k appraisal to be safe, so needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. It still cash flows over $200 per door, and I got all my money back plus an extra $10,000. I have none of my own money left in the deal and this put me on the path to buying more multifamily.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Yes, my biggest mistake was not getting a signed contract immediately. The realtors planned on it happening the next morning. If he had signed the contract that night, we would have had ended up in the same place (just 4 months sooner!).

15Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Good on you for walking away when he upped his price int he middle! That wasn't going to be the end of it. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Good on you for walking away when he upped his price int he middle! That wasn't going to be the end of it. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Congrats Matt!

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    Nice job! Who are you using for the refi? I closed on a duplex this month and I’m about done with the rehab. I called the mortgage broker I’ve used in the past and he seems to think there is a 12 month “seasoning period” before I can pull a loan out. Thoughts?

  • Lender · Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 156 posts · 98 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Pastier:

    Investment Info:

    Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $36,000

    This was my second deal as an investor. This was my first BRRRR and put me on the path to multifamily properties. I finished this deal around May of his year. We put new tenants in that we screened ourselves and it's worked out great.

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    My first deal was a SFR, but I knew I wanted to move into multifamily. When I found this property I knew I was going to have to use more tools to make it work, and realized I had found my first BRRRR opportunity. This was the catalyst for my next two multifamily deals.

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    It had been sitting on the MLS for months. It had tenants but needed lots of work. They were asking $70k. I offered $30k. We landed at $37k. BUT - the contract was not signed that day, and the next day he decided he wanted $47k. I walked away. Almost 4 months later we heard he was really itching to sell, so we offered $37k contingent on the property being vacant at closing and got the deal done. After a mistake by title, we ended up with a final price of $36k.

    How did you finance this deal?

    I borrowed from my 401k to buy it cash with some extra for rehab.

    How did you add value to the deal?

    We rehabbed the interior of both units. We did new paint, 20 year warrantied commercial vinyl plank flooring, new counters, painted cabinets, new appliances, new light fixtures, painted the basement, among others. We also ended up having to repair the 2nd floor balcony, plumbing, electrical, and a few other unexpected items.

    What was the outcome?

    The building appraised for $88,000! I ran my numbers based on a $70k appraisal to be safe, so needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. It still cash flows over $200 per door, and I got all my money back plus an extra $10,000. I have none of my own money left in the deal and this put me on the path to buying more multifamily.

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    Yes, my biggest mistake was not getting a signed contract immediately. The realtors planned on it happening the next morning. If he had signed the contract that night, we would have had ended up in the same place (just 4 months sooner!).

    Congratulations how much are you charging for rent

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Taylor L. Thanks Taylor. You’re so right. It was disappointing to walk away, but the numbers are what they are. The seller had inherited this property from his father and didn’t really want to be a landlord. He was expecting a big payout.

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Carl Boswell Thanks Carl!

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Rouer Thanks Brandon, and congrats on your deal! Good for you for taking action.

    Yes, banks have a seasoning period before the refi, but you can get better than 12 months. Most of the banks I called just needed 6 months to do a cash out refi based on appraised value, and the bank I used allowed me to start the process around 5 months. I used Union Home Mortgage. They did 75% of ARV which is also typical but closing costs were a little high. I now work with a different local bank for my deals, but not sure what their cash out refi is like. Happy to give you contacts if you need them or want to compare rates and closing costs.

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Herndon Davis Thanks Herndon. I get $700 for the upstairs unit and $725 for the downstairs. I charge more for the bottom unit because they have access to the basement. I pay water and gas, and they pay electric. I looked at splitting water and gas. Splitting gas was cost prohibitive, and splitting water didn’t make sense in my area. Unpaid water bills fall on the landlord, so I just pay both utilities and I built that into my rent.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    That would be great Matt. I appreciate your help. I wonder if there is less seasoning for a HELOC. I want to buy another ASAP 😎

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Rouer I did look into the HELOC route, but found the rates were higher and that most of the banks I called didn't want to do them for an investment property. It doesn't mean it's not possible, but that was just my experience. I'll send you a private message with the contact info for the lenders I know. Happy to help.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier Hey Matt, it was smart that you held your ground and walked away after the 47k counter offer. 

    Sometimes, it is ok to let the Seller hear from the market about their price and they come back begging. 

    Great job on the rehab looks great...! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Ola Dantis Thanks Ola! I appreciate the comments.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 183 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    Congratulations!! Keep up the great work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Chris Salerno Thanks Chris!

  • Rental Property Investor · Swedesboro, NJ · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    Awesome Congrats!!

    How much did you spend on the rehab?

  • Charles HolderPro Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 141 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    Is Youngstown big? Close to any major cities? Looking at price I live in san antonio texas.. Just trying to compare.. I know its much different but trying to see what town I could compare it to.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier you may want to look into Key Bank. They're offering great rehab terms right now on free and clear with no seasoning requirements. Ok on investment as well-just did one myself. Not like a HELOC but still

    Low cost.

    Curious where this was in Youngstown area if you don’t mind sharing? Been thinking about looking out your way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 44 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Taylor L.:

    Good on you for walking away when he upped his price int he middle! That wasn't going to be the end of it. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. 

    I agree Taylor. It is the right way to do business and not be too emotionally involved to walk away when numbers mean it isn’t a good deal anymore. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Jackie Gorbea Thanks Jackie! The rehab cost about $17,000.

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Charles Holder It’s a about an hour from Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It’s not a big city and has actually been declining in population. The suburbs are pretty healthy though. This is an area where you can’t bet on appreciation (buying for cash flow), but I was ok with that going in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Michael Masterson Thanks for the tip on Key Bank Michael. I have a local bank I work with (Farmers) for my other deals and happy to make a referral if you’re ever interested.

    This was in Boardman which is a nice area and good schools. You have to be really careful buying there if you’re not familiar with the neighborhoods though because it borders on some bad areas in a some places. Feel free to reach out and I’d be happy to help you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 183 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier

    You are welcome!

  • Pittsburgh · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier congratulations on a successful BRRRR! I sent you and colleague request, I'd love to see who you used for contractors and get some input!

  • Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Matt Pastier Wow, nice work! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

  • Real Estate Agent · Central Florida · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Eric Luzier Thanks Eric! I appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.