New Owner of Two Duplexes in Colombus, Ohio

New Owner of Two Duplexes in Colombus, Ohio

San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $108,000
Cash invested: $27,000

Duplex - Buy and Hold

Purchased with small group of investors

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

For the past several months, I have been targeting small multifamily with an emphasis on cash flow as a means of progressing towards financial independence.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

This is one of two duplexes that were owned by the same seller. We noticed they had been on the market for several months, so we offered to buy them as a package.

How did you finance this deal?

Fannie/Freddie with 25% down.

How did you add value to the deal?

By buying the two properties as a package, we were able to get a better price on them. We were able to do this by having sufficient cash on hand to go after two properties at once, instead of one at a time. We plan to make certain upgrades over time to increase the value for tenants and allow for higher rents.

What was the outcome?

Time will tell if these properties cash flow as we estimate, but so far the negotiation and acquisition is complete and we are the owners of a couple of multi-units.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Buying a set of properties as a group of remote investors presented some challenges and ultimately, lessons learned. Good communication can combat some of these challenges. We learned to:
- treat each property as a separate deal, even though the seller was the same in this case (easier for our lender)
- take note of marriages and state ownership laws to ensure Power of Attorney is in place
- work with title company to schedule the delivery of paperwork to relevant places with notary service

4Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 26 votes
7y

Hey glad you took notice of the Columbus marketplace. its great market that i've found some success in. I have a great GC who is fair priced and always does a++ work for me. I also just found a great handyman and an amazing cleaning service both are extremely well priced, im always amazed at the price they tell me when i use them. i'm only at 4 SFH myself but i'm working to enter the multifamily space within the next 6 months. I PM for myself but if i can be of any assistance please let me know. There are some good people in the city so i hope that you can make connections and see how welcoming this city is.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hey glad you took notice of the Columbus marketplace. its great market that i've found some success in. I have a great GC who is fair priced and always does a++ work for me. I also just found a great handyman and an amazing cleaning service both are extremely well priced, im always amazed at the price they tell me when i use them. i'm only at 4 SFH myself but i'm working to enter the multifamily space within the next 6 months. I PM for myself but if i can be of any assistance please let me know. There are some good people in the city so i hope that you can make connections and see how welcoming this city is.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Vincent Gable

    Thank you for taking the time to read about my first investment! It does seem to be a good market to be in and it looks like properties really go quickly. 

    Excellent that you found great folks in the industry to round out your team. So far I've had great luck the folks I'm working with too. I like the idea of multifamily for cash flow, but I think there is a lot of opportunity with SFH too.

    I really appreciate the offer to reach out when in need, please feel free to do the same, Vincent!

  • Long Island NY & Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Daniel Spaizman congrats on your new acquisitions. What area of Columbus did you settle on? Thanks.

  • Property Manager · Columbus, OH · Member since 2012 · 309 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    Cool, congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2019 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Spaizman

    Congrats on your first purchase! So you bought two duplexes for $108k?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed thank you for the congrats. We ended up in North Linden. We were looking near Bexley, but each of the homes we inspected there had foundation issues, which we weren't up to fixing. Focused on North Linden and found some pretty solid deals. 

    @Matt Everling we ended up getting each of the duplexes for 108k, so 216k in total. But for 54k per unit, we are pretty happy. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    A friend of mine bought a live in flip in Bexley and ran into the same foundation issues.  I love that area, but look on the fringe but in the bexley zip code.

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Congrats Daniel!! I really enjoyed reading this post. I am a new out of state investor looking to invest in colombus OH. Can anyone recommend an area? I'm looking at Hilltop. Also, can anyone recommend a good realtor. I'm looking for a SFH. My budget is 60k. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.