Raw Land Flip in Texas ending in Double Close

Raw Land Flip in Texas ending in Double Close

South Padre Island, TX · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 69 votes

Investment Info:

fix & flip investment.

Purchase price: $17,660
Cash invested: $1,200
Sale price: $62,000

Four acres of raw land. Land was fenced with some high brush on it that was pretty overgrown.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Fun and profit.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Deal came from a response to my direct mail campaign aimed at land owners who were delinquent on taxes. Owner was behind on the land and on her home and was anxious to sell the property.

How did you finance this deal?

Hard money loan.

How did you add value to the deal?

All I added was the willingness to deal with the owner's judgments and some marketing skills.

What was the outcome?

Double close. Happy seller and happy buyer.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

My buyer wanted to close with a certain title company, so I moved both the buy and the sell over. I immediately encountered resistance as they didn't like my contract and refused to underwrite. After satisfying them, they refused to answer calls or emails for about two weeks. Literally the day before closing they told me that I needed a survey, and then I found out they were refusing to close on my sale side. It all worked out, but it was unbelievably frustrating.

0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    So did you delay closing? I'm curious how they can go silent for two weeks without you making demands. 

    Glad it all worked out

  • South Padre Island, TX · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    Believe me, I was going crazy. It took me blowing up on the poor front desk lady for someone to finally call me back. I managed to close on time only because I called in a favor from a friend to have the property surveyed and turned into the title company within 20 hours when everyone else was giving me a two week time frame. 

    As for the sell side that was canceled unbeknownst to me, luckily my buyer didn't want a title policy (since I was paying for one and she knew I was double closing), so all we had to do was get a lawyer to type out a warranty deed since it was a cash deal. It probably helped that I went to the lawyer who owned the title company and voiced my concerns loudly about the quality of his comapny's work. They agreed to close us at 5:30pm on a Friday on about three hours notice. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.